What formula should I start my baby on when she arrives?

I will not be breastfeeding for various reasons and am aware that some babies can't handle certain formulas. Obviously I need to start somewhere though so which should I get to be ready for my Natie to come?

AND NO LECTURES ON THE BREASTFEEDING!! I am aware of the pros and cons and it just won't work out for me. I don't want to hear it.

Anna-Chubaby

Asked by Anna-Chubaby at 12:59 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nestle good Start

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:01 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Whatever...not everyone can breastfeed. No need to act like they're a bad mother for choosing otherwise..
    Anna-Chubaby

Comment by Anna-Chubaby (original poster) at 1:03 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Usually the hospital will provide either similac advanced with iron or Enfamil Lipil with iron...you could call to see which one they use so you could have some for when you come home without having the switch. I wouldnt buy more than one or two though just in case the baby can't tolerate that specific kind and needs a more sensitive formula. You could also pick out your own and take that to the hospital with you...i know a lot of people just use the store brands because they are cheaper.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 1:03 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Enfamil gentle ease... Its easy on thier stomach and proteins are already broken down. When I stopped breastfeeding this is what we had to use because of his tummy. Good luck and everyone has the RIGHT to make their own decision on how they feed their children. I swear people are so rude :0)
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 1:04 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I actually read a lot of awesome feedback about Walmart's Parent's Choice. It really surprised me; many said that their babies would ONLY tolerate that brand.
    Anna-Chubaby

Comment by Anna-Chubaby (original poster) at 1:05 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Similac Advance liquid was great for us. I highly recommend using ONLY the liquid form of any formula. The pre-made is the best. Many of my friends used the powder that you mix with water and had a lot of issues because of the water. My Pediatrician also recommended only using the liquid. Also use Dr. Browns bottles, they are the best to prevent gas.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:05 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Thanks bjojola. I appreciate it.
    Anna-Chubaby

• The best answer to this would be: ask your doctor when the baby is born. No need to freak out about it right now, unless you have already had the baby. Best start would be whatever works best for your child, and you. There are TONS of brands out there, and if you have a Lactose Intolerant (sp?) child, then your Doctor or Ped. will be able to give you a special kind of formula..

Breastfeeding is just another way of feeding your child, but not everyone can do it. If you can't/won't then do whatever YOU feel is best.
    MomtoMichael2

Answer by MomtoMichael2 at 1:06 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Very welcome :0)
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 1:07 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• It doesn't really matter. A lot has to do with what your baby can handle. I would recommend going cheap, and then change if your baby has an adverse reaction.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:10 PM on Nov. 3, 2010