Pop or no pop?

I am a parent that allows my children very little soda. By very little, I mean only when we go out to eat do they get it. I just changed my thoughts on that recently. I used to not allow it at all. Any thoughts?

MaggieNSamsMom

Asked by MaggieNSamsMom at 1:01 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son is 9 and has never had pop

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:02 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• We go out to eat fairly regularly, so I don't go by that rule. Ours gets a small cup maybe once every 3 months or so. If we go out he gets milk, water, or juice/lemonade (if he hasn't had too much of that earlier in the day.) I think it's okay to have once in awhile.
    Anonymous

• I never, ever allow mine to have any. She is only 2.5 though. My dad let her have a drink of Mt. Dew one time and I about bit his head off.

FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 1:04 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Anything in moderation is fine in my opinion. Going out to eat is a treat so why not allow a little soda?
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 1:04 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• My kids are allowed it when we go out to eat, just like you. They cannot have it at home unless daddy allows them a sip. It's just unnecessary calories and sugar but once in awhile it's fine.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:04 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I have three kids. I get groceries every two weeks. Evertime I get a six pack. that gives them two each. When it's gone that's it.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 1:04 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Sounds good to me. DS is only 1, but when he gets older I'll probably be like you, maybe just a little when we go out or are around it.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:05 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I give DS a little here and there, a drink of mine, or a sprite when we go out. I drink caffeine-free pop, so I don't see his having a drink being a bad thing at all... no worse than a big, fat glass of koolaid or a popsicle. My gma owns a restaurant where several of my cousins and their parents work, and since they were children, they were raised around the cafe and allowed a pop every time they came in. THAT I don't approve of, but a little won't hurt.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:05 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• exactly like you. i used to totally restricted them from having ANY. but now they have it if we go out (sprite) there hae even been a couple times we ordered pizza here at home and they each had a little glass of rootbeer.
    hotmama83227

Answer by hotmama83227 at 1:07 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• No pop over here. The very rare exception is sprite. My son is almost 3 and my daughter is only 7 months...we still got awhile before I let them have it.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 1:08 PM on Nov. 3, 2010