How do you stay organized?

I know this is vague but I'm talking in general, with kids paperwork from school, bills, etc; we used to have a filing system but since I had our youngest (a year ago) we have pretty much not filed. My husband pays the bills & stacks them up for me and i've been placing them in a plastic bag by the desk just to clear off the desk. I'm saving my kindergartener's worksheets because we're supposed to be reviewing them with him, especially the words, but I'm lucky to do it once a week. Should I just throw all of it away? They go through about 10 worksheets in a day. Also magazines are piling up. I'd like to get clutter under control before decorating for the holidays but it just feels overwhelming. Where do you start & how do you keep on it?

oahoah

Asked by oahoah at 1:04 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I toss the magazines when we get the new one and if we didnt read it yet then it goes on the book shelf in our room so its off the desk. I have a folder for the bills so i dont get a massive pile of that and then school work has another binder that stays in my room so it is off the desk. I have OCD so everything has a place and has to be in its place so keeping things organized is super easy for me...when I have a hard time is when we get something new and I dont know where to put it lol. Even my kitchen is organized lol i have all of my spices in order and a sheet taped to the inside of the cabinet so i know what i have and when i need to get more of something because i used all of it...its kinda crazy i know but it works...
    Anonymous

• Sort the papers down to maybe one a day and have one folder. The only bills I keep is my credit card. But those are online too. Pay them and toss them.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:22 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I started a new plan this week! I wrote down each day of the week on a paper and what chores I need to do that day to get caught up. Writing it down helps me remember AND keeps it do-able. Tonight I have sweep and vacuum as well as do bath night for the kids. If I have time, I have an opitional task - my exercise program.

About all those papers - I used to put them in a pile and then go through the pile (to the trash/recycling) once it was big enough. I changed that to through the stuff right in the recycling. We don't take the recycling out until it builds up, so if I need something I should be able to retreive it from there.
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 2:10 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I bought notebooks for all the school papers and bills and what I need to save each thing has a notebook that is labels I paper punch them and stick them in the right notebook. After your check has cleared the bank you no longer need the reciepts for the lights, gas, water, garbage pick up so toss those once a month. Magazines gets trickier they come so many at a time. I try to look through them at night while I am watching TV and rip out pages that I want to keep right then and file them in a notebook also, recipes, crafts etc rip our name label off of them and throw them into the recycling.
    Get any kind of file folder and stick the bills into that right away so then you don't have bills laying around, toss junk mail right away into the recycling bin without your name on it of course. Good Luck
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:46 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• We went paperless with all our bills...I do not keep old magazines, papers of any kind erasing personal info)... I get ride of everything I know we won't use...that include clothes, accesories, etc
    I like to see some space in my closet! Good excuse to get something new!
    Monica655

Answer by Monica655 at 10:42 AM on Nov. 4, 2010