How do you roast pumpkin seed and how do you eat them?

First how do you eat pumpkin seeds? I mean do you eat them shell and all? We tried it one year with salt in the oven and they were awful! I was thinking maybe we did something wrong or were suppose to take off the shell?? They just had no flavor! Also what is a sweet way of making them? My family likes sweets and I figured if I make them like a desert they will try them and maybe like them. :-)

Momma_Forever

Asked by Momma_Forever at 10:30 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Pumpkin Seed Brittle, from Martha Stewart

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for baking sheet
    1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
    1/4 cup honey
    1 cup fresh pumpkin seeds, rinsed well, dried, and toasted

Preheat oven to 350°. Butter an 11-by-17- inch rimmed baking sheet; set aside.
    Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in sugar and honey. Bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until mixture is medium amber and a candy thermometer registers 280°, about 6 minutes. Stir in pumpkin seeds. Cook until mixture reaches 300°, about 2 minutes. Pour onto prepared baking sheet. Let cool completely. Break into pieces.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 3:06 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• yes, you eat them shell and all. I HATE them! LOL I think they are so gross!

you could try coating them in like brown sugar and cinnimon or something after they are baked...IDK.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 10:31 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• 450 deg lay flat with salt ohhhhh sooooo goood
    maybe try salt and sugar mix sweet and salty idk lol
    Anonymous

• I rinse mine first, then spread them out on a cookie sheet, spray some cooking spray on them, some salt, and bake on low heat until they start to turn golden brown.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:36 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• We like them salty so we clean them off (getting all the pumpkin "gunk" off), then rinse them (they don't need to be rinsed super great, just well enough to finish getting the gunk off. Then, we soak them for several hours in REALLY salty water - like, twice as salty as the ocean salty water. Then we drain them, spread them out flat on a cookie sheet, and bake them at 200 degrees for about 2 hours, until they are completely dry. You eat them "shell" and all. The thing to watch for though is they can look like they're dry, but then when you eat them they're not dry all the way through (and are gross that way, at least to my family), so try one to make sure they're all the way dry before you pull them from the oven.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:37 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Try them with season salt. I just did some and they turned out yummy :)
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 10:37 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• cont

Then we let them cool and eat them. Some of the salt will come out of them cooking them, you can sort of scrape that in with them, add more salt to the top of them, or just eat them "as is".

I don't know how to make them sweet though.
    sailorwifenmom

• Don't clean them too well. Leave some pumpkin guts on them. Spread them out on some paper towels to dry. (yes, you eat them shell and all)

1 cup pumpkin seeds
    1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 to 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
    1 teaspoon sugar
    cinnamon to taste

Mix it all together well and spread on a baking sheet. Bake in oven at 300 for about an hour, stirring every 10 minutes or so. Don't overbake or the sugar will burn and it will taste bitter. They should be lightly browned and crispy.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 10:39 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• i soak over night

lay out to dry for 48 hours

mix them in egg white
    nutmeg cinnamon &
    sugar cook at 400 for 15 minutes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• You eat them, shell and all. I rinse them, then let them dry overnight, so they're crunchier when roasted. Drizzle a little olive oil on them, salt, and spread on a baking sheet. Roast at 300* until they begin to brown, stirring occasionally so they roast evenly.

To make them sweet, you could do them like pralines as the anon previously said (with egg white), or you could make brittle. I'll post the recipe separately because of the character limit...but it is really good, and makes a great garnish for your pumpkin pies!
    jespeach