toys for 6 year old boys?

My boy will be turning 6 right after Xmas. He is finally moving on out of the "little kid" toys, and is telling me he wants COOL toys.. He has been Thomas the Train obsessed for years, and he will still get one from Santa, cuz he still loves his trains, but I am trying to get some COOL toys..

My MIL suggested taking him to the toy store to see what he likes, .. but, im not that crazy..!

He does have a 2 year old brother and I am having a baby at the beginning of december, so we have to be careful about toys with small parts.

Any suggestions? We dont watch a ton of TV so I dont really know what he likes.. He plays with cars and stuff, we have plenty of those... I like my kids to really use their imagination and be active. We dont have room for many more 'big' toys.. We are on a really tight budget too, seeing as this baby comes at beginning of December, and my sons bdays are december 30th and january 2nd....

VelvetCat

Asked by VelvetCat at 1:15 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• TRANSFORMERS!!!...lol...my cousins son loves them...
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:17 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• M 6 year old loves Ben 10 guys, Bionicles, Transformers, Monster trucks, Leapster 2 games, Wii, Clothes, and Shoes
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 1:17 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Legos
    Dragons
    Remote control cars
    Game system
    Big Wheel/ 2-wheeler bike
    Sports toys for outside/new ball&bat etc
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:19 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• my son was really into his trains too and still likes to play with his train table from time to time but now he is moving into the hot wheels sets, remote control cars, transformers anything that he can build or that moves really.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 1:25 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• What if you got a Wii for him and his brother to share? Well-made videogames are more creative than people give them credit for, and they help develop problem-solving skills. It could be a big main present for xmas + birthdays, and you could still get a couple cheap things like candy, an RC car, and some puzzles for the little one so they still have lots of stuff to unwrap.
    Allaye

Answer by Allaye at 1:39 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Transformers, teck tecks(mini skate boards) and flip tricks(mini BMX bikes) you can get jumps and little things to go with them. Also Air hogs, hotwheels sets. The only way to know forsure what he thinks is cool though, IS to take him to the toy store and have him look around. I take my kids there all the time to look around, and rarly do I ever buy anything at the time, its' more for fun and to get ideas.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 1:43 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• My son loves action figures - batman, superman, spiderman. Lasy year we got him a batman house (it's kind of like a batman dollhouse, but don't tell him that). He loves it. Also sports equipment.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:00 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I agree with taking him to the toy store, we always went to Toys r Us, because they are great about letting the kids play with things, and explore! That way you can watch his interaction with the toys, and guage it from there. We always had lego in the house. The big legos for the younger kids, and the more complex sets as they got older. I could have a houseful of boys and girls, and they would all be in the playroom with the Legos. Good time to start teaching him responsibility, explain that he needs to keep them put away if he's not playing with them so the little ones don't get into them and wreck them. We bought a big plastic box with a tight fitting lid, and just put them all in there. It's a toy they grow with also.
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 2:33 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• A Wii is waaaay beyond our budget.
    VelvetCat

Comment by VelvetCat (original poster) at 2:45 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Trios, my son is 5 and loves them. They are easier than legos and the pieces aren't as small so you won't have to worry about the younger ones as much. Transformers are good too, but some of them you have to have an engineering degree to get them transformed. LOL!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 3:14 PM on Nov. 3, 2010