Sex Ed....

Okay... I know many of you have different ideas about Sex Ed, but lets try to keep this civil!

What age should parents start "sex ed" at home and what should they cover?
What grade should "sex ed" be started in schools and what should be covered?

I think we all agree that the idea situation is that parents teach their kids everything that's needed to be taught. But since the vast majority do not sex ed in schools is a need... So what do you feel should be covered, by whom and when?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 1:15 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• As soon as they are out of the womb, in age appropriate terms. As for school, as soon as they start school, in age appropriate terms.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 1:16 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• We started as soon as he was an infant. We named all of his anatomy with their correct names. Then when he gets old enough to understand we have the bad touch conversation. At around the same time is when they get curious and tend to touch themselves so we also have to have the privacy conversation about where it is appropriate to be naked and when it isn't. And is also the reason for the bad touch talk.
    We have only gotten to age five so we are learning as we go. But we mainly answer all of his questions as he throws them at us. When he gets to school by the first grade he will learn from his fellow students about things at a very young age so we will be ready to answer them. No matter how uncomfortable we may feel.
    Momma_Halo

Answer by Momma_Halo at 1:23 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• My friend had a book by Dr. Ruth (the sex dr, I don't remember her last name) that was a "sex ed" type of book for little kids. It was a long time ago that I read it, so I don't remember any details, but I remember thinking that I wished someone had taught me about sex using that book.
    mawd

Answer by mawd at 1:29 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Right now my Son just turned 4 so if I tried to explain anything to him, I would probably get better results if I told the squirrel outside! LOL! I have no idea, I will just "know" when the time is right. I had sex ed in fifth grade and they just superficially covered how babies were born and periods. They split up the boys & girls into separate classes. We had no friggin idea what the hell they were talking about.  That was around 1977. We just figured everything out on our own but life is very different today with the media and Internet. I cannot even fathom what kids know about today. It's scary. I feel a lot of kids are missing out on the childhood idea that ignorance is bliss. Like when I grew up.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:35 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I started VERY young with mine, and thank goodness I did. I had the good touch/bad touch talk as soon as she understood words. When she was 2 and 1/2 her father molested her. She knew enough to know it was wrong, and came to me. She told me what he did, and now he is out of her life. If I had never opened that door, the abuse might have gone on for years. My daughter knows all of the parts of the body, and which are private. She knows she can come to me with anything.

I answer all of her questions honestly, and with as much tact as possible. I am age appropriate and intend to always be. I've succeeded in teaching my now 14 yr old sister about sex, and she is prepared no matter the situation (condoms, birth control, female condoms, child birth [and how bad it HURTS] ect...) I'm sure I can do the same for my daughter.
    mrskrisher

Answer by mrskrisher at 3:11 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I answer what ever question they come up with. age appropriate responses but i still tell him. if you hide it then when they get older they think they are doing something wrong. I remember in high school there was a girl (all books) her parents would not let her take sex ed. one day I saw her crying and when I asked what was wrong she said she was pregnant, she gave a guy a BJ. I spent a good hour trying to explain that her throat and womb were not connected. and I thought that this was very sad for her to be sheltered like that and she was almost an adult (17)

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 9:29 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Once they are able to understand what sex is and before they start being around people when your not there. Also I had sex ed the first time back in 5th grade but it was understanding your body, then we had sex ed again about the actual sex talk in 6th grade. Then in 9th grade we had indepth talk for half a year.
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 5:03 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I started teaching my kids things as soon as they started asking so for my 2 year old it is pretty basic body parts and what not. My 3 year old has asked some slightly more detailed questions, so she gets more in depth answers. I don't think it need to start being taught in school until middle school.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:37 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• 6th grade. at school, age 10 at home
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:11 AM on Nov. 4, 2010