breast engorgement adult content

I gave birth just over a week ago and I'm on day 5 or 6 of extreme breast engorgement. I'm not breastfeeding. How long will this last??

CarlyCo

Asked by CarlyCo at 2:09 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It will last a few weeks at least. Try pumping to relieve the pressure.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:12 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Why not try nursing?
    mompam

• Idk, I breastfed. All I can suggest is to take a hot shower. Did you ask your Dr? They may have suggestions. Oh, and stay away from beer, the yeast in it will encourage milk production.
    Caoimhe_Oona

Answer by Caoimhe_Oona at 2:13 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Mine lasted about 8 days after I stopped breastfeeding. I was in SO much pain. Maybe see your OB and have them check for mastitis? That infection is what was making my pain so horrible. Hope you feel better soon!
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 2:13 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Don't pump, don't take a hot shower, don't do anything to stimulate your breasts. Get an ace bandage and wrap them up really tight. Take motrin or tylenol for pain.
    DanyielJ

Answer by DanyielJ at 2:15 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I can't breastfeed because of the medication I'm on... With my first son I did breastfeed and the engorgement only lasted like 2 days. So this is a whole new ball park for me. Everytime I think they're going down, they fill right back up.
    CarlyCo

Comment by CarlyCo (original poster) at 2:17 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I pumped just enough to relieve the pressure and I only had to do this for 2 maybe 3 days. I know it hurts, do what you feel would be the best option for you.
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 3:01 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Is nursing important to you? Can you switch medications? Have you checked out if your medications are truly incompatible with nursing from an IBCLC, or just your doctor? It is better to check with and IBCLC because they are breastfeeding specialists, and doctors are not. You can also look at the group here, Medications and Mother's Milk.

squish

Answer by squish at 3:13 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Put a sports bra on thats like 2 sizes too small you won't even fell it. I PROMISE. Its a life saver.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 3:39 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I mean you won't even FEEL it.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 4:11 PM on Nov. 3, 2010