A Child Has HIV/AIDS should the school ''Notify'' ALL parents? After all your child will be around this child.

P.S. It could be YOUR child -

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Ummm it would be illegal for them to share it. Hippa is made to protect us all. The only person that should know about a childs medical condition is someone who has to help that child with their medical needs
    ckmomof2

Answer by ckmomof2 at 2:55 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• NO! Then he/she will just have no friends and be bullied all the time. People are just not as understanding as they should be.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 2:15 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• No, that would be a violation of privacy and putting marking the child and making him an outcast. As long as the child is aware and proper safety measures are taken in the case of an accident, I think it should be the families business and no one else's.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 2:16 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• No, You can not get the disease by just being around a person.

Answer by louise2 at 2:17 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Absolutely not. It's not like my kid is sharing needles with the child with AIDS or HIV. And most people with HIV are able to keep their viral counts pretty low with the cocktail.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 2:18 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• NO! The chances of your child getting AIDS/HIV from the child are slim to none. The adults in the schools - teachers, administrators, nurse, janitorial staff - should know and that's it.

Someone with AIDS/HIV (adult) does not have to disclose their disease to their co-works so why should children do so at school.

twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:18 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• NO! Just because someone is under 18 doesn't mean they don't deserve the same right to privacy as the rest of us...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:18 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• That would be asking for that child to be bullied, discriminated against, attacked, etc. Besides, it is doubtful that a child with such a bad immune disease would be able to go to public school due to the chances of getting even sicker than a normal child. (That is if I understand correctly how it attacks your immune system so badly.)
    Also, again if I understand correctly this disease can only be caught through the transfer of blood-to-blood or bodily fluid style contact. Once the blood hits the air it is no longer going to infect. A child with such a disease would have this understanding (hopefully) and would know to be careful.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:23 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Absolutely not. Worst idea ever.

Anyone with any fear of their child being around an HIV infected child clearly has no education or knowledge of HIV transmission.
    Ataemommy

Answer by Ataemommy at 2:27 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I agree with all of the above......I'm happy with the answers I read here :)
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 2:31 PM on Nov. 3, 2010