Have you ever bought half a cow?

If so how much does it roughly cost? I am really considering doing this. Who do you buy from? When you do buy your half of a cow, does that mean it will be butchered also? Thanks!

ali_1107

Asked by ali_1107 at 2:21 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I'm interested in this also!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:22 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Call a local butcher. Growing up we got ½ a cow from my dad's parents because they had beef cattle.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:24 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I use to buy half a cow from a farmer and than they would take it to the butcher and I would pick it up there. I paid so much for the cow and a seperate price for the butchering.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:29 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Call a butcher and yes the meat comes prepackaged in butcher paper.
    jnd951999

Answer by jnd951999 at 2:29 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Its is in no way shape or form cheaper to buy this way. Even if you raise the cow your self, its still gonna be over 1,500 bucks to process it. (I grew up on a cattle farm still get one from my dad to split with my sister every year) It will however taste delicious and be better for you.
    -crunchy-mama-

Answer by -crunchy-mama- at 2:29 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:37 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• my mom bought a quarter cow. they had the cows alive at the auction, i was 17 and it really made me think of meat differently (i felt bad looking the animal in the eye and then eating him - also my mom picked a "cute cow." i think it would have been easier to eat an ugly cow. idk why) i dont knwo what it cost but it saved a lot of money.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:42 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Well, regardless, when me and hubby buy half a cow, it is cheaper than buying beef year round. We did the math. It's been two years but I thing we paid like $300 from our friends farm.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:45 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Every year. And actually, we get a whole one. We have a few farmer friends who raise their own animals, so we get ours from them - whoever has one for sale when we need it. We bring the live animal to the locker (butcher) in our town, tell them how we want it (how much hamburger per package & what percent, how many pounds per roast, how thick we want the steaks & how many per package, etc), and they call us when it's done and we go pick up our totes of lovely white packages of meat. Our last one was a trade for services rendered, so basically free, but the one before that we paid our friends $1/lb for the animal, and the processing was 86 cents per pound - so we got almost 1,000 lbs of meat (the live animal weighed 1600) for $1.86 per pound - dirt cheap! One grocery store near me sells quarters for something like $3.79/lb.
    Anonymous

• yes actually, we buy either a half, or sometimes a whole cow if we have the freezer space. But we get it from my FIL (so it's cheap, or free) ...along with venison, elk, bear, cougar...yum!
    mommyharmon

Answer by mommyharmon at 7:17 PM on Nov. 3, 2010