Do people still think its a good status to be seeing a Psychologist?

I feel these days, most students go to college and get an introduction to psycholgy and learn the basics. I also learned that those who have the most issues become psycholgist, and many that do, cause more harm than if people just talked out their issues with a close friend! whats your take on shrinks these days? I always felt psychologist help you to: learn what YOUR problem is, give you a few solution, but YOU have to solve your problems!

emmidr

Asked by emmidr at 2:27 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• My eldest daughter got her graduate degree in psychology, and it has served her very handy in connection with her job, she is a high schhol teacher for a behavior alternative school, she does wonders with these problem teens. Shrinks to me are phsyciatrists, and those mostly prescribe drugs.....

Answer by older at 2:31 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I don't know where you are pulling your ideas from. You can't prove what issues anyone has unless they tell you themselves. That's really not a fair judgement to take. NEWS FLASH, if you are human you may have some issues. I don't believe that a psycologist who has personal challenges with life is going to hurt someone. Have you even been to a psycologist in the last ten years?
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:31 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• they are not suppose to solve your problems for but to give you the tolls to solve them your self.
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 2:32 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I meant tools i just noticed what i spelled sorry.
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 2:33 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I think all a therapist can do is give you insight into your issues and give you helpful advice. They can not however live your life. Its all up to you.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 2:37 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• maybe I did not specify enough info, but I did mean tools or ideas to ponder 4 solution to ones mental issues! I am not a psychologist but I do know many and I did have many college course in psych. I was contemplating to major in Psychology, thinking to become a psychotherapist, but only interest was in helping the autistic children. I also have several relatives who are psychologist. I am not all that proud to say that I am related to a bad one, who has ruined more lives than she has helped. She works with a lot of kids. Not just adults. Scary! But after 9-11, many people became so intolerant of psychologists because many wanted to control their clients with drugs! Many psychiatrist were in favor of drugs before and so have lost favor with the public; due to overmedicating kids with antidepressants, antipsychotics. Many harsh medications like Ritalin & Risperdal.I have heard and seen it all!
    emmidr

Comment by emmidr (original poster) at 3:06 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• In years gone past many thought it was great to have "their own therapist" to talk to. And thought it was a status symbol of wealth when you could afford to have "your very own" lol Its all I was wanting to know if people still think that way is all!
    emmidr

Comment by emmidr (original poster) at 3:14 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Okay, sorry. That does make more sense now! :D
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:16 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• - In status. I think most people think something must be wrong to see a psych. (personally i think everyone should see one on occasion. Mental is just as important as physical health)
    - Yes it seems psychologist can get into the field and do alot of damage. they are in a very strong position to do so. Alot of people become psych's because they have been through though alot themself & feel they can help others since they have been there. (Though some should not be, since their negatives in life could effect clear, psychological judgement)
    -Im seeing a therapist.. She ask questions. gives suggestions but usually its me doing the talking.. just "getting it out" seems to help ALOT.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 3:55 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Well I am bi polar and before I found out that it started as depression and I cant tell you enough times that the therapy sessions with a phsycologist made me feel good to have someone to talk to that is not going to judge you or look at like you are just crazy get over it. Some people dont want to face the fact that they need to be on meds too but their pride gets in the way.....if someone just suffers from depression or just needs someone to talk to to feel better, well I wish I was you. Alot of others out there have illnesses that they cannot control unless they go to therapy or take meds. Call it what you want but it helps me and being a phsycologist is far from my mind...lol
    Justme6944

Answer by Justme6944 at 4:42 PM on Nov. 3, 2010