Have you or someone you know used chemotherapy for lupus, with success?

My mother has been struggling with lupus for years. She never takes very good care of herself anyway, but the last 4-5 years she has really gone down hill. Yesterday she told me that her lupus has gotten to the point they want to treat it with a low dose of chemotherapy.

I'm scared of the disease, I'm scared of the treatment and I scared because she doesn't have a very good support system immediately around her. I've told her me and the kids can pack up and come stay for awhile. I know she will never ask for help, so will probably just go without an invite.

What can I do to help her through the symptoms of the chemo? It is a low dose (pill form), but I'm sure that the poison she is putting in her body will still affect her. I have no idea what to do =-(

hillmom

Asked by hillmom at 2:39 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Health

• No,but my bff is using it for another auto-immune disorder,ulcerative colitis. It makes her very tired,prone to viruses,and in the beginning,very nauseated.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:50 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• My sister's good friend did have chemo for lupus and it helped, I think. Bumping you so hopefully you get answers.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:33 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• i have no real suggestions, i just don't know that much about it... however when my SO's mom was going through chemo for cancer he did a TON of juices for her (like lemongrass, etc) and they helped her feel WONDERFUL... she had energy, looked good, and felt good. i can't say that it made the disease any better, but it helped her to look and live a more normal life...
    asil

Answer by asil at 7:03 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• No but i was just diagnosted w lupus a few months ago. My mother has it and great aunt has it also. My thought's and prayers r w ur mother bc it's a struggle living w it.
    HaRlEiGhSmOmMa

Answer by HaRlEiGhSmOmMa at 3:25 AM on Nov. 8, 2010