I have a dilemna with a relative how would you deal with it? adult content

I have a half sibling whose alway lying to everyone. Immediate family, my kids, and friends of friends and even in public site.She acts like a 9 year old still, a spoiled brat. But what I cant stand is her manipulating everyone and strangers she lies to. Causing troubles. Bringing things 3o years ago she stretched to suit her, wanting a pity party. Saying things that she believes ruined her life. But does not care how she ruins your life! I feel she has a weak mind! Shes even told my kids all kinds of lies about me and my other siblings ( who are half siblings) . She has caused a split in my family and no one will even go to a family reunion since my mother died because of her lies! I wrote her how I felt about her lies but she says my memorys are false memories. Shes mixed up. I think to disown her for her lies keep us apart as I see it. Would you disown a sibling like this?

emmidr

Asked by emmidr at 2:46 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• If she has become a hardship on you, and added burden to your family, I would simply exclude her from your life. Delete her from your "Public Sites" and step away. If you would like to maintain some sort of a relationship, send birthday and Christmas cards, but limit that as your only interaction, unless you see a change. No need to be rude, or mean to her. If you are questioned, simply explain why you have eliminated her from your life and go on living. Let go of this burden. But realize, it may be hard, and you may get a lot of family flak from it.
    mrskrisher

Answer by mrskrisher at 2:50 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• We don't have much to do with my hubby's sister for the exact same reasons. She has been manipulative, using, lied, talked bad about us, did many things that are just not forgivable, and not once ever thought what she did was wrong. She has burned many bridges and I will never trust her again. I am civil with her if she happens to be around, but I do not reach out to her at all or ever want anything to do with her again.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 2:52 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• YES!!!! Disown her!
    DanjrusMommie

Answer by DanjrusMommie at 2:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I probably wouldn't go as far as disowning her or making a big statement to her about it, but I'd definitely limit her involvement in my life and put boundaries on my relationship with her.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:16 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I would never disown a sibling, they are my flesh and blood and there is nothing they can do to me for me to do this period.

Answer by older at 2:47 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Honestly yes.....just stop all contact. My mother and I haven't associated with her siblings (my aunts/uncles) and all my cousins in over two years because of the drama....don't need it, don't want it.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:48 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I wouldn't disown her but I would keep my distance. It's hard and I can understand. My half sister came into our lives when I was 11 and less then a year later my parents were actually talking about divorce. It was a scary time and I couldn't believe how ONE person who hasn't even known us for that long could cause such strife. My dad always loved her but after she moved back with her mom he just kept his distance.
    mz_erica03

Answer by mz_erica03 at 2:51 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Well I would just cut all my contact to her. Family is supposed to stick together but sometimes unfortunately that is not possible. Whats the good for you if she tells even lies about you to your kids? I dont know how old you kids are but maybe they get really cinfuesd. I know I wouldnt want that and she would not be welcome at my house.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 2:51 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I wouldnt use the word disown, I would just cut off contact
    ckmomof2

Answer by ckmomof2 at 2:53 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• sounds like my sister, i have cut all ties with her GL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:53 PM on Nov. 3, 2010