Almost Pheasant and Venison time!! If you eat it, how do you like yours!

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 2:48 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Food & Drink

• My BF just talked about a recipe for pheasant - deep fry the strips of meat with a cayenne-based coating. Sounds delicious - will be my first taste of pheasant.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:52 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• You'll love it! That does sound good. I braise mine in white wine then cook it in a mushroom sauces with wine for hours.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 2:54 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I haven't had pheasant since DH and I were dating. He put it in the crock pot, and when it was done he shredded it and made a casserole with pasta, corn, and a creamy sauce.

Venison...yum. DH butchers it, and I prefer all roasts - I can chunk them up to can, or grind them myself. Trimmings he takes to the locker to be made into deer sticks. Anyway...I like ground deer for spaghetti sauce, want to try chili with it. Roast, leftover roast for soups, shepherd's pie, bbq sandwiches...my kids prefer deer roast over beef roast because it's leaner. I've also learned how to cook it so you can't taste the difference between it & beef.
    Anonymous

• I wish you weren't anon, so we could trade tips! I make a good venison chili! Except I don't use it ground, I cut it into tiny pieces like when I make stroganoff with it. And LOVE the sticks and summer sausage.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 3:06 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Venison hash is about the best thing ever!! I don't know exactly how he does it, but I make my ex make me some every year. Even though we aren't together anymore, he still does it for me. I know it has onions and garlic in it and I usually put it over rice. Yummy!!!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 3:07 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I've never had pheasant, so I can't say. But I like very little venison.....as long as it has been smoked/cooked well, it's good in sausage mixed with pork.
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 6:41 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I like them aged well first !!! It tenderizes the meat and makes it more flavorful. I do not like to try and "hide" the taste!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 10:30 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

•  turkey           I personally Prefer Ham.... I glaze it with brown sugar,honey and pineapple.... Did you know Turkeys Fly, My SO did not.... lol

emily1230

Answer by emily1230 at 10:39 AM on Nov. 4, 2010