somewhat cosleeping but i dont want to

my dd is 11 days old and sleeps in a bassinet right by my bed. when she wakes during the night ill change her diaper if she needs it and feed her,but she'll cry if i try to lay her back in her bed b4 shes sound asleep so i let her lay with my for a few min till i can move her. but sometimes i fall back asleep and wake up like 30-45 mins later and move her.does anyone else ever have this happen?

i dont want her sleeping in bed with us,not bc its a bad habit,but bc im sooo afraid something will happen. i even feel bad when i lay her back in her bed bc she sleeps so well curled up next to me and i love it,but i dont want anything to happen to her

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Really this is a very personal choice. I have a sleep condition that makes it TRULY dangerous for me to have my baby in bed with me, but luckily my ds took to his crib really well. We started a bedtime routine very early and he has thrived on it. All you can do is research and decide in your heart what feels right.

Also, while I'm not totally agains the cry it out method, please don't use it on a baby this young. I know you didn't even mention it, but someone is bound to suggest it eventually and research shows that it is just a really bad idea for babies under 6 months old.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 10:54 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• theres no way i could let her "Cry it out" i couldnt bear to let her cry and not do anything about it
    Anonymous

• Well my son is 6 months old and he can sleep in both bed and crib, but he didnt start sleeping in his crib until a few weeks ago through the whole night. my son was only 6 pounds when he was born so he was tiny and i was a little scared so i put a pillow under him to sleep next to me so i couldnt really roll over just in case. The hospital that i stayed at even supported me with co-sleeping, they said crib is always better but suppported the decision moms made.
    ldc90

Answer by ldc90 at 11:35 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• My husband and I sleep with our daughter, who is two weeks old, between us. We elevate her in a way so that neither of us can accidentally roll over her. The co-sleeping is more for me than for my daughter as it is difficult for me physically go to her crib to check on her. This works out great for all of us, however, I worry that she might not want to sleep in her crib once I recover.
    Anonymous

• Like a previous mom said this is a very personal choice. Everyone sleeps differently and how you sleep makes a big difference in how comfortable you will feel cosleeping. I allow my 7 week old to cosleep ONLY when he refuses to sleep in his basinette and I am too exhausted to fight him on it. But I sleep on my side and he sleeps on his back with his head on my arm and my other arm over his waist with my hand cupping his back. I feel every little wiggle and movement and sleep pretty light. I am confident I will know if something goes wrong. But keep in mind your baby is still really young and adjusting. You dont really need to be pushing the bassinette thing until about 2-3 months. The world is a scary place right now and your baby just wants her mamma. Do what feels right for you and your family
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:13 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• My babies co-slept with me. I was worried about rolling over on them, but more worried that dad might. We are use to having that baby infront of our tummy, daddy isn't. With my last baby I propped her up at an angle on a Nursing pillow and placed a regular flat pillow at her bottom which was also at the level of my tummy. She was more up by my head ( easier to hear and less weight on her if I accidentally rolled too close.) I didn't ever roll onto her and my guess is that you probably wouldn't either. Just do whats best for you and keep lovin' that little blessing....and remember, you are a good Mommy no matter what you choose. :0)
    Galadriel1976

Answer by Galadriel1976 at 6:38 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• My son was the same way when he was a newborn. What I did to get him to sleep on his own was at first I'd wait until he was good and asleep before I put him in his bassinet, then I went to waiting until he was asleep but not very deeply, then to just barely asleep, until finally I was putting him down while he was awake right after burping him. It was a fairly tedious process, but it has been well worth it; he's 16 months old now, and all I have to do is put him in his crib (wide awake) and he'll go to sleep with no problems whatsoever. Good luck.

DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 7:35 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• When they woke up at night at that age, I would change their diaper and feed them in the living room, then take them back to their crib. DH and I didn't want them sleeping with us because we were afriad of something happening. Ya, you get less sleep, but just take naps during the day since you only have the one.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 12:16 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Try swaddling her and she may sleep better.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 9:41 PM on Nov. 2, 2008