Is Muslim and Sharia law the new wedge issue?

I see there was a reference to it on a ballot. We all saw the uproar over the mosque in NY and other mosques around the country.

Is this the NEW wedge issue? Abortion and Gay issues seem to be less and less divisive , at least in elections....

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 2:54 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• If both parties have agreed to an international/religious law trumping all others in Civil matters, then I see it as an expression of religion. Criminal matters, NO. Here is an example of that fine line that is in question, "The question might seem a befuddling one for a ballot in the heartland, but it stems from a New Jersey legal case in which a Muslim woman went to a family court asking for a restraining order against her spouse claiming he had raped her repeatedly. The judge ruled against her, saying that her husband was abiding by his Muslim beliefs regarding spousal duties. The decision was later overruled by an appellate court, but the case sparked a firestorm."

~So, would this be a civil religious matter? Or criminal?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:05 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• The decision was later overruled by an appellate court, but the case sparked a firestorm."

It wa sa bad judicial decision that was fixed within our system as it should have been.

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 3:09 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• In my personal opinion.

Yes it is yet another "wedge issue"..

People seem to focus on some aspects of Sharia law that are already illegal in this country (ie: stoning of women/men, spousal abuse,..etc) . Yet the do not look the fact that Sharia Law, is also a part of daily living. Ex: what hand you eat with, what foot steps into the bathroom first, how you save/invest your money, donating to charity, eating Halal. and so on.

So in essence, the "banning" of Sharia Law, "banning" aspects of someone's daily life, how they live due to their religion. Whether that was the intention or goal doesn't matter at this point. That is what it does.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:10 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Yes, but it obviously impacted many to feel there were some loopholes that do NOT protect every individual. Was this a measure to close the loopholes for future questions?... As for the ballot issue~I can't find the EXACT verbiage of the OK law to give my opinion on OK... Like is OK speaking just for criminal matters? Or civil matters when not clearly defined (in writing?) Or both? All I have to go on is just what news clips I have researched. If someone has the link to actual verbiage then I will comment furhter... Till then, My first answer stands, "If both parties have agreed to an international/religious law trumping all others in Civil matters, then I see it as an expression of religion. Criminal matters, NO international law does not apply and should not apply"...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:16 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• It always amuses me that the people who scream loudest about sharia law are also the ones who scream loudest about keeping gay marriage illegal because the bible says so.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:16 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Wedge Issue? depends on how the Issue is presented and written AND how it is interpreted by the people...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:17 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Yes, but it obviously impacted many to feel there were some loopholes that do NOT protect every individual

The law isn't about how people FEEl.....

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 3:22 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• What are the exact words of the law?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:24 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Wedge Issue? depends on how the Issue is presented and written AND how it is interpreted by the people

right and the way its been presented and interpreted...do you think its become a new wedge issue?

and it isn't JUST about that ballot....the way its been presented in politics and on tv political shows etc...

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 3:24 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• What are the exact words of the law?

Im sure you can google it...but it isn't STRICTLY about that provision...

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 3:25 PM on Nov. 3, 2010