If your child was born hemaphrodite....

Meaning, with both sex organs, what would you do? I found out the gender of my child yesterday (it's a boy, yay!), but for whatever reason it got me wondering. I'd want to hold off on assigning the gender until my child could tell me what gender they identified with, but what would I do in the meantime? Would I use he or she? Dress like a boy or a girl? I'd HATE to do any kind of physchological damage, but I honestly don't know how I'd handle it (other than NOT to assign a gender right away)...

Strange question, but what do YOU think?

Anouck

Asked by Anouck at 2:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• They can genetically be both. And one set of organs may be an eency bit more developed, but, they are still intersexed. You give a unisex name and gender neutral clothes until you see which way they lean towards. You do some testing and pick a she or he to say temporarily. I know 2 and one went with male after being raised as Sarah. And one stayed kind of girly.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:44 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I would wait and let the child decide too, in the mean time, I would act according to my liking until I can get some feedback. It is a strange but very valid question.

Answer by older at 2:57 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I guess I'd start with doing a DNA test to see what sex the baby was genetically

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:01 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• There is a great book - Middlesex - about this. You should read it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:05 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• This is a great question! I honestly cannot really say what I would do.. I would just go with the flow I guess..lol
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:57 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Well, I guess I wouldn't assign a gender, more just a name and see what they geared toward.. wow, that would be hard, never thought of it that way... congrats on the boy :)
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:58 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• strange but could be a possible reality to someone & i have heard of parents picking the wrong sex
    ahsweetness

Answer by ahsweetness at 2:58 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• If I had a child born this way and I could - I'd wait until my child turned 18 and aide them in paying for gender surgery for which ever gender they chose.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:00 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Good book mompam. I also reccomend it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:07 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• You can't fo DNA test..they are BOTH genders. You give a unisex name and never pick sides until the child decides. They will go through both puberties and can ultimately decide for themselves. LOL I know 2 people born this way. They were both given girl names and raised as girls...one decided male was the way to go and gave himself a male name.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:09 PM on Nov. 3, 2010