does anyone have social phobia?

social phobia... scared of crowds, places , people?

justgg

Asked by justgg at 10:52 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Health

• We should start a group on here for support..
    kywildcats

Answer by kywildcats at 10:03 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Nope. My mom does though.
    Anonymous

• I used to, along with several other manifestations of anxiety disorder. No fun. But I'm recovered now.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 10:54 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• My DH does. Effexor has helped him a lot, but he still gets really nervous leaving the house.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 10:55 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• yes! I hate crowds! I used to even not go to walmart by myself!

hubby got pissy tonight because we got back from trick or treating at the mall (AHH crowded!) and I didn't want to go to a movie with him. I told him I was done with people for the evening.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 10:56 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I am like that. I'm 42 years old and I still panic at the thought of going to a company dinner with hubby...meetings at the school and church. I do fine once I get there. Most of the time--I put on a brave front and people don't know how terrified I am on the inside. I've been like this most of my life. Hubby is just the opposite.
    mamamac5

Answer by mamamac5 at 11:09 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Same as above poster, hubby & I are opposites around people. He's outgoing, & most of the time, I'd rather just stay home! I don't like too many people!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I am the same way as mamamac5. What have any of you done for it? I have been looking for years a way to deal with this.
    kywildcats

Answer by kywildcats at 8:49 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Im the same way I dontlike crowds I do ok when I get in one but I try to rush to get out and once Im out and away from it Im ok.
    geenabelle

Answer by geenabelle at 6:28 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Kywildcats asked what we have done about it... I did Lucinda Bassett's program, "Attacking Anxiety and Depression". I also used medication for a little while and saw a great therapist regularly. Between the program (which is basically cognitive behavioral therapy), the meds, and my therapist, I was able to get a handle on my negative, scary thoughts, and I learned how to change the way that I think and, therefore, change the way that I feel. I don't mind being around people or in crowds the slightest bit now. In fact, I am very social now. I would recommend Lucinda's program to anyone struggling with any kind of anxiety or depression. If you don't like it, you can get your money back, so there is nothing to lose except a whole lot of misery.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:08 PM on Nov. 1, 2008