my son is 28 and he can not keep a job and all he does is sleep and he has a little girl that lives with us to

redial

Asked by redial at 3:08 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• I've heard all this before.. it actually happens a lot! Where is the little girls mother? Is she just as worthless? I would kick him out and keep the child.. until he can get on his feet.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:09 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Honestly, I would give him 90 days to get his shit together before I kick him out and keep the baby. this little girl is HIS responsibility, not yours. And if he makes it yours, you dont need HIM to take care of too.
    But unless you put your foot down, he is going to keep using you, I have seen it before.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 3:11 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• yea i agree with you superrmommyy, dont be like my grandma , my uncle is 37 still living with her and can not keep a job, sleeps all day, and is just as lazy as can be. He needs to learn how to grow up, Its called a little tough love :)
    ashcrash

Answer by ashcrash at 3:12 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Sounds like you need to quit being a mother, and start being a landlord. Tell him to get a job, help with bills or get out.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:15 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• it is time to talk with your son it sounds like depress not once have talk about the mother of his child,lost of love one is so hard ,and to lose one ,weather she is in his life or the child he needs to talk to some one ,for him to heal he can begine take care of his child
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 6:10 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I'm sorry you are going through this. First of all, his daughter is HIS responsibility, not yours. I know you must love her since she is your grandchild, but don't allow your son to neglect his responsibility by continuing losing jobs. Why can't he keep a job? Don't be insulted but does he have an alcohol or drug problem? If he doesn't could he be depressed as well? Changes in sleeping patterns or lack of motivation could signal depression and or substance abuse issues. Either way, the issues need to be addressed. Maybe you can sit him down and tell him what his responsibilities are. Also let him know what your expectations are of him. Tell him he has to work or he will have to move out. As hard as that might be let him know that you won't enable him to live this way. Good luck.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 7:06 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Lots of sleeping may equate with depression. He needs to get a grip so he can be there for his daughter and provide support.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:25 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Take care of your grandchild and stop enabling your son to be irresponsible. Yes, I said it, you are enabling him. It's time for him to be responsible for himself. I'd throw a pot of cold water on him in the morning to get his butt out of bed and looking for work. There is nothing like independence to get one back in the swing of things. He doesn't need his mommy, he needs to stand on his own two feet and grow up.
    DeeMomOfFour

Answer by DeeMomOfFour at 1:42 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• time to get tough mom, if hes depressed then he needs to get help and if your doing everthing for him he's gonna stay in the "rut!' Time to sit him down and make a plan!
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 7:08 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• My first thought was of depression. I was not sure if you mean your grand daughter lives with you, too. If it is some teenager or other young girlfriend, she needs to go. It is so hard when you see them waste their lives like this. He needs help. What does his father think of the situation?

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 1:18 PM on Nov. 7, 2010