What is wrong with this child?

I babysit a 14 month old and he acts like he is starving all the time, which looks like that is not the case. If anything he is a little over weight. Plus I know his mother very well and know that she does feed him well, and does not seem to encourage horrible eating habits. So I am at a loss to figure out what is going on. My daughter is the same age and when lunch time or snack time comes around he hits her, pushes her, and bites her in order to take her food from her. He also stomps his feet and throws a fit when I give her a bite. I brought it up to his mother and she said she has never seen him act like that around her, other than the fact that he starts whining when he wants a bite. He is getting too aggressive with my daughter when it comes to food and I am about to tell the mother not to bring him back. What is wrong with this kid??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:09 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Health

• Is he an only child? It sounds like he has his mom's full attention at meal time, and doesn't have to "compete" with another child, especially if that other child is yours and needs to be fed too.
    Anonymous

• hmm... that is awfully strange for him to be SO aggressive. I would just be firm with him and try to manage it but definitely talk to the mother more if things do not get better.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:33 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I can see it as being jealousy. He's at an age where he probably wants everyones attention EXCLUSIVELY. I would suggest talking with his mom on teaching him mealtime manners. You and mom can work as a team on this. good luck!
    punkomama08

Answer by punkomama08 at 3:36 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Being a day care teacher I have seen this before and all that was said by the other mom's can all be true. Be firm, separate him from your daughter at meal times, it will take time to "train" him but the little guy will catch on. Good luck!
    Suzie2mom

Answer by Suzie2mom at 4:31 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• i agree, jelaousy is it! my second is somewhat this way (she will not bite or hit but will try to push her older sister out of the way to take her food) and it's not as if they aren't eating the EXACT same thing and good amounts of it... she just wants to be first, have the attention, etc...
    now i feed them at different "times" so to speak... they clean up and whoever is done first gets to sit and start eating first... i know this kiddo is a bit young to understand, but it seems as if you may have to feed him first for one meal/snack, then feed your daughter first for the next one...
    asil

Answer by asil at 7:01 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Sounds like he gets all the attention at home and has to share it at your house. That's normal. The eating behavior could be because he's getting ready to go through a growth spurt. My boy (now 2 1/2) gets a bit more aggressive around food when he's heading into one....one week he'll look a bit overweight and the next week he's slimmed right down (and gained 2 inches in height)...just keep a good eye on him and correct the biting/hitting behavior as he does it.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:41 AM on Nov. 4, 2010