Will My Water Break?

I have a doctors appointment tomorrow, but when I went last week I wasn't dilated at all but I was almost 90% effaced and my doctor said my water could break at any time because I am so thinned out. Yet here I am a week later (38 weeks pregnant) and still huge and uncomfortable. Do doctors ever really know anything? lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My water broke for my first child but not for my second. I was full term with my second and they induced labor.
    BitsMom00

Answer by BitsMom00 at 3:17 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Less than 10 percent of women actually experience their water break at home.

I have been walking around 3-3.5 cms dilated and 70 percent effaced for two weeks.. My water hasn't broken, lol.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:18 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• THEY SURE DONT! LOL! I was 90% effaced and 4 cm dilated for a month. I went into labor and my water NEVER broke... I know it sucks so much, this last stretch, but i will happen when its supposed to..
    VelvetCat

Answer by VelvetCat at 3:18 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• It might not.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 3:18 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I remember being 5cm dialated and 70% effaced for almost a week before my water broke (naturally in my house). So it is possible that your water can break at any time. You just never know until it happens!
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 3:19 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Ii carried my first two to 42 weeks and they had to break my water in the hospital. GOOD LUCK! What's the rush? (:
    Lucy8662

Answer by Lucy8662 at 3:22 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• It's possible that your water could break soon. It's also possible that it won't until you're in active labor and at the hospital, either naturally or with a doctor's help. It's also possible for the baby to be born in an intact sac without your water ever having broken; it's rare, but it happens.

It's like the "progress" thing with dilation and effacement; doctors always assign meaning to it, regardless of how many women have experienced the exact opposite (i.e., being 4 cm dilated and 90% effaced meaning you're going to go into labor any minute and then staying that way for 3 weeks, or not being dilated or effaced at all meaning you won't go into labor naturally and then you have the baby the next day, etc.).

So basically, yes, it could happen, but whether it will is anybody's guess.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:28 PM on Nov. 3, 2010