In need of some tips. Plz

My DD will be three on jan. 8. Im still having issues at bed time she will not sleep in her room she is still in our rm sleeping in a toddler bed. I put her to sleep put hrr in her bed an she will wake up an come to our bed. If i try to put her back she will wake back up an want to stay awake rest of the night. Im stayn ehausted that sometimes ill miss hearing alarm clock an my oldest is late for school. How can i break this. She is also very attached she has to be touching me in order to stay asleep.

lilbritches501

Asked by lilbritches501 at 3:20 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You have to be exhausted with this hopping out of bed every night! Gradual transition, hon. Where does she take her naps? I would try to encourage her to sleep in her bed during nap time, let her get used to her "new" bed, then work on the night time rituals. It's not going to be an overnight deal, (no pun intended), but a gradual process for her to adjust. Otherwise, trying it cold turkey...you'll be in for restless nights! Also, establish a steady bedtime ritual: bath, story, and sit her in her bed for about a half hour before it's actually time for her to go to sleep, eventually, she might surprise you and fall asleep on her own in her bed! Until then...after a half hour of getting acquainted in her bed, if she wants to sleep in your room, or wakes up and gets in your bed in the middle of the night, I wouldn't fight it, your sanity is far more important than this :) Eventually, your DD will sleep in her bed :)
    Jam0418

Answer by Jam0418 at 3:26 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• This reminds me of when my daughter was 3 years old, and we had just bought her brother a new bed. She was climbing into our bed night after night, finally her daddy asked her when she was going to start sleeping in her own bed. Her answer? When you get me a new bed daddy! We had a new bed bought and delivered and set up in no time! Made her bed up really pretty, and that night she slept in her own bed for the first time! So maybe if you enlist her help to find a new bed set, whatever she wants and make her bed up nice and pretty, she'll want to sleep in her bed.
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 3:46 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Take the toddler bed out of your room and put it into her room. If she knows she has your room as an option she won't learn to sleep in her room. I understand her wanting the comfort of you beside her, but she really needs to learn to sleep in her own room. Especially she needs to learn to comfort herself. Maybe you can find a stuffed animal or doll that she'll cuddle with. Read to her until she falls asleep and then leave the room. If she wakes up then go and comfort her, but encourage her to stay in her room. She may throw a fit and that's natural, but for both of you it's important she learns to stay put. All the best!
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:48 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• She has grown out of naps she wants to stay up till late an sleep late we have tried to wake her early but she jus comes close to one of us an falls back to sleep my hubby works 24 hr shift on ambulance so he is exhausted an im no help because she is keeping me exhaisted. Lol
    lilbritches501

Comment by lilbritches501 (original poster) at 4:09 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Yeah I would take her bed out and put in her room.My DD is 21 months,she would come to are room.I would take her back,put her back in her bed tuck her in.I would ether rub her back or pat her butt.After a week when she woke up she just fell back asleep on her own.You have to stay firm,and just keep taking her back to her room,she will get it.
    bucky77

Answer by bucky77 at 11:50 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I totally understand how you feel, I am going through the same thing with my daughter. But I am soo tired at night that I can't get up and take her to her room so I just let her sleep the rest of the night with us. I guess we have to be strong and work hard until they get use to sleep in their own room. Good luck mama!!!
    bratgirln1

Answer by bratgirln1 at 1:03 AM on Nov. 4, 2010