My LO ignore everyone when they talk to him.

My son is four years old. He ignores you when you talk 9 times out of 10. Not only when you are correcting him but also with just casual conversation ( How was school? How are you? What do you want to have for dinner?) I try to tell him that it is not polite to ignore someone when they talk to you. Do you think this is a normal phase?

mlmsm928

Asked by mlmsm928 at 3:25 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think that every kid is different, my son went through that alittle bit and what I started doing was getting down on his level being able to be eye to eye with him, while holding is hand and talking to him, it seems to work so far, Im sure something else will come up soon enough good luck..
    Army108th

Answer by Army108th at 3:28 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I do do that if he doesn't answer me after like the 5th time haha. And it does work. I will try that more often, good idea. Thanks
    mlmsm928

Comment by mlmsm928 (original poster) at 3:30 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• you could also have his hearing tested. I used to think that my dd was ignoring me but found out that she actually had a hearing impairment.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 3:34 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• That is a good suggestion don't get me wrong but he was tested and his hearing is fine.
    mlmsm928

Comment by mlmsm928 (original poster) at 3:37 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• oh, then I would go with what army108th said. And if he didn't start listening at some point I would probably enforce some sort of consequence for not answering me when I speak to him. You could also ignore him when he says something to you then when he gets upset you can explain that that is how you feel when he doesn't answer you. It seems childish but he is a child :)
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 3:45 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• does he have any other signs that point to autism... if it is that alone - look into receptive language delay.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:50 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• sue118...haha i have ignored him before and he laughs.
    AmaliaD... I would never say definately not but I don't think he has any learning delays or autism. He has always been advanced in his language if anything.
    mlmsm928

Comment by mlmsm928 (original poster) at 3:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• hahahaha, well, you really do have your hands full, don't you ;)
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 4:13 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Yes.. He's a very good kid, generally very well behaved... Just this new thing..I honestly think half the time he's deep in thought haha
    mlmsm928

Comment by mlmsm928 (original poster) at 4:17 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• With the children and families that I work with, I have see this behavior a lot! So, you're not alone!! The biggest thing here is that it's just plain rude behavior. I dont' know if he does this to anyone except you, but that's sometimes the case. The behavior that was just attention seeking (getting the attention of you repeating your self over and over), then becomes power in their eyes! They have the power and control when they don't answer! Not answering doesn't sound like the most serious behavioral problem, but it will lead to more serious problems because it's being allowed to happen. If he's watching tv and you spoke to him, turn it off until you get your answer. If he's playing a handheld game, take it out of his hands until he answers. He needs consequences and needs to learn that it's rude and he may not treat people that way. Does he ignore his teacher, his dad, etc?
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 11:57 AM on Nov. 4, 2010