How can a child with a child with ADD successfully participate in scouting?

My husband and I are new Cub Scout den leaders. We have one child in the group with ADD who is occasionally hostile and unable to sit still for more than a few minutes. My husband and at least three other parents want this child put out of the group. However, he is so excited to be at the meeting and scouting appears to be very meaningful to him. I just believe that scouting should be inclusive of this child. I think that he could go on to be productive because he has supportive parents. I don't want his experience with scouting to be negative and discouraging in his struggle to live with ADD. It is just hard to go up against all the opposition when I defend him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Better be careful about that stuff. THe group could get the bad lable of being descriminating.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:42 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I have a jr high boy in my youth group who struggles with ADD - - and you're right, not including them is not the answer. With him, in our situation, I try to make sure that our activities are pretty hands on, or that he has something small to keep his hands busy with while we are having discussion - I find that he has an easier time staying focused if his hands at least are busy. There are times when it takes a lot of gentle reminders for him to settle down and focus, but I think it's good for him AND the other kids that he's there. He learns how to cope with the ADD, and they learn to be patient and how to deal with people who are different from them.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 3:43 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I am a cubscout den leader and my own son has undiagnosed adhd. I would venture to guess that two other kids in the den do as well. Their parents haven't come out and said it, but they have said things about their behavior/habits. The point of the scouts isn't to teach drones, it is to lead these boys in discipline and community acts, etc. At this age (cubscouts are young), they are all overactive with a few exceptions. Just continue to have fun and have A LOT of activities to keep them busy the whole meeting. I have learned to let them get up and run relays while I set out the next thing we need.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 3:48 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Oh good grief. ADD isn't cancer for crying out loud. The kid needs boundaries and discipline, so Scouts will be good for him. Just treat him like you would any other kid, if he acts up and breaks the rules, he has to face the consequences. He doesn't get a free pass because of some made up diagnosis.
    Anonymous

• just keep bringing him !!
    sammy1979

Answer by sammy1979 at 8:46 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• You are the leader so you need to be strict and set the limits and boundaries and have high expectations. even if it means taking this child aside yourself and telling him that you believe in him and that he can follow instructions and just let him know you are watching him and expect good things from him. He obviously just needs someone to believe in him and if you can get your husband and other parents on board to help encourage him hopefully it till help him control his behavior.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:55 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• ADD doesn't cause kids to be hostile --not having boundaries and discipline does. Sounds like he isn't getting it at home and needs the structure of scouting.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:26 PM on Nov. 6, 2010