DID YOU SMOKE WHILE YOU WERE PREGNANT?

I don't smoke so it wasn't a problem, and both my DD's stopped the minute they found out they were pregnant. My DD was telling me her neighbor is about 4 mos and still smoking and she's so bad and shocked by this, she didn't think she would still smoke. How about you smokers? Even non smokers, what do you think about the subject. I feel so bad for the baby that the Mother could be so inconsiderate of the health and welfare of her baby. It's like a bad start before their even out of the womb.

MyAngel003

Asked by MyAngel003 at 3:37 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• With my first I quit the minute I found out with no problems at all but after he was born I picked it back up. Then with my second I ended up completely quiting by 3 months but my body helped me out with it; everytime I would take a drag I would gag and sometimes I would puke. Personally I do think it is selfish but I also understand the mothers that have difficulties quiting while pregnant because smoking is highly addictive and its not an easy thing to quit. It doesnt mean that those mothers love their children anyless its just that their additiction is too powerful for them.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 3:45 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Oh Momma you are about to be bashed like crazy. The smoking moms on here will eat you alive! There is also a group of pot smoking moms that will rip you a new one too about that subject.

Personally I think it is selfish and stupid.
    Anonymous

• I am pregnant and currently weaning myself off of cigarettes. My doctor told me this is best as quiting cold turkey can cause panic attacks and stress for the mother...which causes stress on the baby. Whatever any mother thinks...I'll go on the advice of my doctor. Do If feel bad that I'm smoking...of course I do, I feel aweful but I'm proud that I've cut back so much and soon I wont be smoking at all.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 4:12 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I started smoking around 10yrs old.. Around 21 i wanted to quit & could not .... I got pregnant at 23 & stopped the day I found out. It was easy!!
    My mom on the other hand.. had 3 daughters & smoked through out all 3 of our pregnancies.. we all where healthy & still are healthy. I smoked/quit.. 1 sister still smokes-dont think she will ever quit.. 1 sister has NEVER smoked..

IMO its best if a woman doesnt smoke while pregnant, but if stoping is stressful to you & is something you just cant handle, i think cutting down as much as possible is understandable.. a stressed out mom can be bad for baby as well..

Keep in mind their are Crackheads that have healthy babies (minues the HORRIBLE withdrawal the baby has to go through)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 4:40 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• The difference for you worriedmommy, is that you are working on quitting all together. Others take the doctor saying that they should not quit cold turkey and wean themselves away from the cigs as an excuse not to quit at all. Good for you and your baby!
    Anonymous

• Do you research before you judge. For most women, the withdraws and chemical imbalances from quitting smoke would be more hazardous then smoking while pregnant. Especially if they dont find out till later on that they are pregnant.
    Just because its printed on paper that smoking while pregnant is evil doesn't mean it is. And you shouldn't look down your nose at women who smoke. Do some research and then form your own opinion. But still, quit judging and tell your daughter to quit judging too.
    Anonymous