placenta issues...i'm 23 weeks.

i went for an ulttrasound a couple weeks ago and i was told my placenta is a little close to my cervix then what they would like. it's not covering the cervix (placenta previa).the M.D said i have to go back next month to make sure the placenta shifted away from my cervix has this happened to anyone???if this has happned to anyone before what was the outcome?? A women at my job said this happened to her but sadly she had a miscarraige in her fifth month. So now i'm freaking out.

JESSICA0415

Asked by JESSICA0415 at 10:09 AM on Jul. 4, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Don't freak out, it will only make things worse. Every pregnancy is different. If it was a big concern you would be back in a couple of days. If you were at risk of m/c they would've told you. Just try to stay calm and thankful that you have a healthy pregnancy thus far. My cervix was opening at 21 weeks and I still had a healthy baby girl...she was a preemie but she is a healthy baby.
    HeatherTurner

Answer by HeatherTurner at 10:16 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• *hugs* don't worry. Many women have their placenta low. Usually it shifts and will move higher. Sometimes it'll cover the cervix. It probably wasn't the cause of your co-worker's m/c, there were most likely other factors involved which she might now know about. I'm not saying it definitely wasn't though because I'm not a doctor.

Don't worry though. It's common for a placenta to be in an unfavorable place. Usually the worst that happens is that the mother has to have a c-section because the baby can't get passed the placenta. Usually, even when that happens, the baby is born healthy.

*hugs* If you're really freaked out talk to your doctor.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 11:54 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• dont stress it! It will most likely shift and like the others said your co worker probably had other factors, placenta being close to the cevix wouldnt hurt it, and if it stays they would probably discuss the options of c section, because if it doesnt shift it could rupture your placenta and be dangerous, but dont worry it still might shift
    SavannahMoMHC2

Answer by SavannahMoMHC2 at 12:26 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• do not freak out!!!! this very same thing happened to me and it moved on its own. its scary as hell, especially when you knwo what placenta prevaria is, but...as your uterus grows, stuff moves away. thats what happened with me. the placenta moved with the growth. it was not a problem. ever. just take it easy and give it time. if you wnat to do somethign proactive, pray.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 3:40 AM on Jul. 5, 2008