Question about possible ear infection..

I have an ear infection, a BAD one. I got the baby checked out a week ago just be sure and they said he was fine. Today his ear STINKS. Is that a sign of infection or just a dirty ear? Mine didn't smell that I noticed and the infection got so bad that I am completely deaf on the left side till the swelling goes down. He's going for shots on the 8th.. so just wondering if I should move his appointment up.

mhaney03

Asked by mhaney03 at 3:41 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• His ear shouldn't stink from an infection unless his eardrum ruptures and the pus comes out. So, probably it's just a dirty ear.

It's hard to tell about ear infections in some kids until they get a fever. What is often taken to be signs of teething could actually be an ear infection. good luck and feel better yourself!!!!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 3:45 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• try gently cleaning his ears and if the ear gets very red and the baby pulls at the specific ear its a good chance it is an ear infection, i would get the shots when scheduled and discuss it then but if symptons worsen or are already bad i would definetely schedule an appt sooner good luck
    19withtwins

Answer by 19withtwins at 5:02 PM on Nov. 3, 2010