looking for advice on starting my own business.

I have a seasonal job in a garden center. 2 years ago i started selling jewelry on my etsy website. I haven't been real serious, but now i want to go big. Im not finding alot of motovation from my friends and family. I don't want to quit my job, but i mostly want to know if it's worth going after. Has anyone elst tried this, and has good tips.

Thanks, Jessi

hippiemom04

Asked by hippiemom04 at 3:47 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• Jewelry can be tough like handmade soaps because of competition, but now is the time people are buying. At the very least take advantage of renting tables in area craft shows. Tables can be anywhere from $10-$50 and just display everything as professionally as possible. You can also go to gift shops in your area and see if they would like to carry them.

You can even host a jewelry party at your house to display your jewelry for people to buy on the spot.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:50 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Ma and Pa shops in our town rent out booths in their shops. I also agree with the craft shows. And keep selling on Etsy, because you'll get business on there. Be strong and remember, if you want it to be a business. Treat it like one. Price fair, but competative and what you can afford to make a profit. Keep a list of referals after you sell, so others can find out about your products and remember to make some to wear on yourself for free publicity. You might sell it while you're wearing it.
    Hollea

Answer by Hollea at 4:18 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Babygirl...use facebook to network.

Make a facebook page, put your etsy on it, link to pages like http://www.facebook.com/#!/WahmConnect

http://www.facebook.com/#!/LinkBug

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Friday-Night-Slumber-Party-Giveawayz/111753015537000

Have a few sales and giveaways. Keep your day job and work your business on your time off.
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 5:02 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• You're going to have to market your site. Start a Merchant Circle page, a Facebook page and join LinkedIn to start. Try selling at local craft shows. There are lots of marketing techniques you can use but you have to go after the customers not wait for them to come to you.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:22 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Go for it! If family and friends don't wanna help, you can always charge them double later. ;)
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:32 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• If you are looking for motivation, then you are in the right place!! Cafemom is great!! I have a home business and have found great advice/motivation/tips on here, on www.jennkmay.com, www.danijohnson.com and some others. If you put your mind and heart into it, you will do just fine!! Good luck!!
    jekrmom

Answer by jekrmom at 10:23 PM on Nov. 5, 2010