any small dogs?

I have a chihuahua, Khloe, who will be a yr old the same day my daughter Kaley is born and Khloe has a bad habit of barking at everyone at any time and jumping up on them. I'm trying my best to teach her not to because i am afraid she will do it to Kaley or bark randomly when she is sleeping and wake her up. I love Khloe so much and dont want to have to give her up. Is there anything else I can do to stop her?

kaleysmomma2010

Asked by kaleysmomma2010 at 3:55 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Pets

• I wouldn't give up my dog that is that small over jumping. They are a little trick to train. But pushing her back and telling her no is a start. File her nails down so they aren't sharp. And just keep baby up and away from her. Chiuauahs aren't very big.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:57 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Just remember repetition, Your dog is still kinda young so she is still full of energy. Try and wear her out during the day and then reward her for good behavior.
    I have a pit/lab mix who thinks she's a lap dog and before I was prego she used to jump on me and lay all over but I've broken her of that and she is 4 yrs. old. So I think you can make it work. I would hate see you get rid of her, I know how hard that is as well. Good Luck
    newMAMAbear

Answer by newMAMAbear at 3:58 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• thank u! i was also wondering how dogs usually react to new babies? Is there anything I should be aware of before Kaley comes home?
    kaleysmomma2010

Comment by kaleysmomma2010 (original poster) at 4:04 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• when she jumps on you, turn your back to her and ignore her...don't reward for bad behavior (example- pushing..she will think you're playing with her) get a baby doll that cries and see how she acts when you "love on it" and also before you're discharged let your so bring home something the baby has been on, a blanket or something with the baby's scent, and let the dog have it to get used to the baby's smell too GL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:10 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• ooo thats a good idea!!! thank you!
    kaleysmomma2010

Comment by kaleysmomma2010 (original poster) at 4:14 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I had a chihuahua when my DD was born. He used to crawl up in her pumpkin seat and sleep with her!!! The entire time I was pregnant he slept at my belly. He was really attached to her! Make sure to "introduce" them as soon as you bring the baby home. And give the puppy lots of love and attention. gl
    clctalking

Answer by clctalking at 6:14 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Also, have the person that she is jumping on turn their back when she jumps on them. If they aren't getting attention, they won't continue.
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 10:35 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Watch a few dog whisperer videos. There's even one on introducing baby. Teaching the dog boundaries and "Pack" levels. Alot of people allow dog to be right in baby's space and find it sweet. But it's really not appropriate at first.
    thelowlander

Answer by thelowlander at 2:08 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• For the barking- you can try water in a spray bottle. Sometimes just getting them in the face a few times with water everytime they bark at people will stop it and it doesn't hurt them.
    joisie1978

Answer by joisie1978 at 1:02 PM on Nov. 11, 2010