what are the chances of delivering a big baby?

im 8 months pregnant and just diagnosed with gestational diabetes. ive heard stories from 9lb-11lb babies being born so im just wondering if anyone has had gestational diabetes what are the chance that i will have a big baby? also, does this mean im going to have to have a C-section and not go through natural labor?

joymoon87

Asked by joymoon87 at 3:58 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• ***FAT IS SQUISHY!*** :D :D 

Big babies are not harder to birth.

Say it with me, ***FAT IS SQUISHY!*** :D :D :D 

Babies with higher birth weights may just have an average sized head. And conversely, a 6.5 lb baby may have a giant head. It's the head that hurts the most. The baby's body fat is not what is hard to push out.

Bigger babies tend to settle in an optimal position for delivery, because they don't have as much room to cock their head at the wrong angle and such.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:24 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• It all depends on how your body is made. I talked to someone not too long ago who had 2 children. She gave natural birth two both of them. The first was 7lbs, the second was 12lbs(or somewhere around there). She told me the second one was an easier birth than the first one even though he was so big.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 4:01 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I had gestational diabetes with 4 out of my 5 pregnancies. My first one (that I didn't have GD with) was 8 lbs 9 oz. The four that I did have GD with were all between 7 lbs 7 oz and 7 lbs 14 oz. My third child (GD) was induced at 38 weeks, my 4th and 5th (both GD) were planned csections at 39 weeks.
    But, gestational diabetes doesn't always mean a big baby, you just need to make sure you keep your sugars under control and watch your diet closely. Many times, women are able to go into labor and deliver naturally with GD, but your dr may keep you under very close watch if you go over your estimated due date.

Answer by missanc at 4:04 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I had GD with 2 of my 3 dd's - the first and the last. The first one I was told a week before she was born that she was over 8 and a 1/2 and when she was born, she was only 7lbs 8 oz my middle one I didn't have GD and she was 6lbs 6oz. My last one was 7lbs 10oz. My Dr. had me induced at 37 weeks with my last one but she decided to stay in another 5 days.....I had all 3 natural with only 2 pushes and no epidural....so try not to worry too much! It CAN be done!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 4:23 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Honestly, your chances for having a bigger baby ARE higher since you do have GD. And most docs will either want to induce you early if they think baby *could* be bigger or will just try to convince you to have an elective c-section. However, I have know women to vaginally deliver 9, 10 and 11 pound babies when given the chance to go into labor naturally and be allowed to walk around and give birth in other positions like hands and knees as opposed to flat on their backs.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:03 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• yea, ive heard that also...after the 1st pregnancy the rest of them are much easier :) but this is my 1st so im trying to figure out what to expect. i know you can never be prepared 100% but im trying to play out every possible scenario because i think i might be delivering early.
    joymoon87

Comment by joymoon87 (original poster) at 4:05 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• you might, or might not have a big baby..my sil had gestational diabetes with al 3 of her kids, one weighed 8 something, one 7 something and the other was early weighing 5 something... i did not have it and had a 9lb and an 8lb baby GL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:07 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• i just really want a natural birth and im wondering if i have a baby that weighs 10-11lb. if thats's actually going to be possible...idk i guess ive been reading too much lol
    joymoon87

Comment by joymoon87 (original poster) at 4:11 PM on Nov. 3, 2010