How to get a 3 year old to sleep in her own bed?

Does anyone have any advise to getting a three year old to sleep in her own bed? I get my three year old to go to sleep in her own bed but then around 3 in the morning she will come and climb in bed with my husband and I. When I do realize she is there I do take her back upstairs to her own bed. But sometimes I don't know she is there until morning. Don't get me wrong I LOVE cuddling her but sometimes it would be nice to sleep and cuddle my husband too! :)

tonidrum214

Asked by tonidrum214 at 4:02 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Since she is getting up in the middle of the night there arent a lot of options. At 3 she is old enough for you just to tell her that she isnt allowed to do it. You could give her incentives for sleeping through the night in her own bed ...like give her a sticker for every full night and when she gets to a certain number she can have a small prize. When my DD was first out of her crib she would get out of her bed so we put a baby gate in the doorway but we always took it down at night before we went to bed so she could get out for the potty or if there was something else that she needs and since it sounds like you are on a different floor of the house I dont think I would do that.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 4:12 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I have a "surprise bag" for my son. I go to the store and get little toys and books for like $1. and use that to redirect or encourage things. I should start it to get his butt out of my bed haha. Good Luck.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 4:21 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Thank you for the suggestions. I will definitely be trying both of the ideas.
    tonidrum214

Comment by tonidrum214 (original poster) at 4:52 PM on Nov. 3, 2010