Both legs are bad.

After my most recent operation on my leg (bone graft job), I was told when going up or down stairs to always lead with 'good leg to heaven, bad leg to hell'. In other words when going upstairs, lead with the leg that hadn't just been operated on. When going down, lead with the operated leg. My problem is now at the stage where due to arthritis I have pain in both legs, so both legs are 'bad'. How can I do 'good leg to heaven, bad leg to hell' when they are both being 'bad'? Also as I have pain in my arms too this makes 'jumping' while holding bannisters impossible too. Any advice etc would be greatly appreciated.

Creating78

Asked by Creating78 at 4:05 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Health

• i'm sorry that i don't have a good answer, but i would suggest looking into taking some oils or something to help with joints and pain...
    asil

Answer by asil at 6:51 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• thanks for that suggestion asil, as i said in the original post, any advice is appreciated so I certainly don't consider your answer to be bad :)
    Creating78

Comment by Creating78 (original poster) at 6:58 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I haven't had your type of surgery, but I have had 10 surgeries on my knee, & surrounding muscles, ligaments, etc, of my right leg.  My knee doesn't bend normally.  And, like you, arthritis has now set in my "good" leg, and arms, hands, you know...  I use a cane all the time now, and I avoid stairs. But, when I can't , I take one step at a time. Use the best leg first, and drag the bad one up. Going down, do the same thing. Put the good one down and drag the bad next.  You really have to figure out the best thing for you. Doctors can only tell you what they assume will work.  I hope this made some sense. If not, I'm sorry.  Feel better!

earlgrey

Answer by earlgrey at 8:30 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Thanks earlgrey. You've pretty much summed up how I cope currently. Just drives me nuts though when I don't have a 'best' leg lol. I'm determined not to do what I was doing 1 year ago though, and that was drinking cider to block the pain. I realised if I carried on it could result in a drink problem and I certainly didn't want that affecting my life (especially being a mum to what was 5 kids at the time).
    Creating78

Comment by Creating78 (original poster) at 8:52 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I think you should still use your legs as the doctor described with the one having had recent surgery labeled the "bad" leg. If it's too difficult to get up and down the stairs, have you tried sitting on your bum and going up/down the stairs? When I had my knee surgery, going down the stairs freaked me out because I couldn't "bend" one leg...so I got down on my butt and used the good leg to help me maneuver down the stairs.

Good luck!
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:38 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I think you must be a mind-reader mainemusicmaker lol, thats exactly what I did this morning (much to the amusement of the kids I might add). I'm seriously considering getting a stair-lift but I can guess what my kids would be like with one of them handy.
    Creating78

Comment by Creating78 (original poster) at 5:57 AM on Nov. 4, 2010