do you?

do you allow your kids to eat from your plate?

I rarely do.

stressedmomma13

Asked by stressedmomma13 at 4:14 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• When he was an infant and learning to eat adult type foods, I did let him eat from my plate. Once he was completely ready for non-pureed table foods, he got his own plate and learned to eat ask for bites from my plate if something looked interesting to him.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:21 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I pretty much do any time unless whatever I am eating is something she can't have- she has allergies so obviously nothing she is allergic to or I wouldn't let her drink my Coke or coffee or whatever. But in my family we share food all the time- when we are out at a restaurant everyone always wants a taste of everybody else's dish and when desserts come it's a free for all so we're pretty relaxed about the whole food sharing thing. Sometimes I might even nibble off DD's plate if she's eating and I'm not.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:34 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Yes, my 14 year old does this all the time, it's like his thing with me, but he always asks "mom are you gonna eat that?" LOL!
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 4:37 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• It depneds on if we are having a night of leftovers b/c we don't all eat the same thing that night. We will offer her bites but most of the time she doesn't want it. I rarely eat off of her plate. When on our first date I tried to take a FF from her dad's plate and had a fork stuck (just enough to show me that he didn't like someone taking from his plate) in my hand. So sharing doesn't go well at our house.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:38 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Usually, like a bite or two to try it. Sometimes, they finish my meal because I can't and they're in the inbetween stage where a kid's meal isn't enough and an adult meal is too much food. Although if we're at a restaurant, we'll split dessert 2 or 3 ways.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:44 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• At their ages, that's not only a no, it's hell no! They will have all the meatballs out of my spaghetti and shrimp out of my scampi in a heartbeat! Lol....But as babies, if they are within reach of it, it was fair game. Just be mindful of what you may be teaching a wee one about manners and appropriateness of it. Keep it intimate.
    mommyx9

Answer by mommyx9 at 5:45 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• We have a 7 1/2-months old, so he has his own food and we have ours. He watches us intently as we eat. I am not sure what we will do when he is old enough to eat what we eat. I guess that we have to wait and see.
    Svetlana98usa

Answer by Svetlana98usa at 7:45 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I try not to. Its an awful habit to form. But on the list of things that I consider to be awful habits, that isnt the worst one.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 7:46 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• yeah i could really care less... i don't mind sharing my food or drinks that's for sure even when it comes to my own blood.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 11:05 PM on Nov. 3, 2010