Do Children need recess?

Hi moms, my daughter's school, just like a lot of other schools are does not have a recess. I know they are doing this mostly for funding reasons- but it just seems essential for children to have recess- studies show that children are less fidgety and concentrate better when given at least 15 minutes of recess. Your comments are important, I'm attending a meeting with the school board later!

kittymom83

Asked by kittymom83 at 4:19 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• How are kids expected to sit and listen to the teacher drone on (and care about it) if they don't get a break?! Absolutely crazy. I also don't agree with teachers who take away recess as punishment. The kid has extra energy so he's acting up in class. The solution: Take away recess! How stupid is that.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 4:24 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Not to mention doesn't the teacher need a break to refresh herself? It must be taxing to go all day without a break. I know in addition to recess at our school they do a few minutes of exercise in class. Simon says or jumping jacks etc to give the kids a break.
    This subject irks me....
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 4:26 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• At my son's school, almost 25% of the children are obese. Not overweight. OBESE! It's epidemic in this country. How is a child supposed to develop, grow, and learn, when their bodies are not stimulated and treated as well as their minds?

Even if you just take them out for a few minutes to run a lap or do some jumping jacks, the results in behavior and health are amazing!
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 4:27 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Yes! All children need to help get out pent up energy and to be able to socialize outside of the classroom. I don't understand what funding has to do with it. A teacher can take a class out for 15-20 min of recess a day and they can burn off energy so that when they come back to the classroom they can stay focused which in turn will make them better students.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:28 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Even adults get pent up energy and need breaks...so it's completely stupid to think that kids don't need recess. Just 15 minutes outside to burn off energy can help them go on for a few more hours.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 4:33 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I dont know how old you daughter is but yeah I think a recess is very important. When my daughter went to pre school they didnt have recess because it was only from 8:30 to 2pm. they had lunch and breakfast in their class rooms. But I think starting Kindergarten there should be a recess. I know I enjoyed them wen I was akid and couldn't imagine having non.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 4:34 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:51 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• YES!!!! I'm a teacher and that outdoor/indoor 15 minutes of freedom to run and play is SO NECESSARY.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 6:17 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• YES, I think recess and/or some sort of active time period during the day is very important. It's healthier and it allows them to burn off extra energy from sitting still all day. I'm sure the teachers could use a break too. I think it should be longer than 15 minutes too, but that's better than no recess.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:17 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Meh, recess? No. Time to get up and move around? Yes.
    But what does funding have to do with it? Are they shortening the school day or just cutting out recess? If they aren't shortening the day I don't see how funding would be affected at all.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:37 PM on Nov. 3, 2010