I need help if there is a Corn bread baker among us...

I am using a cast iron skillet to bake it in and I need to know if I can grease it with butter or veg oil. I have no Crisco:( Oh and what is the best temp? I have made it 100 times but I have had a huge brain fart today and can not think of it lol

Lena-Loo

Asked by Lena-Loo at 4:23 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Food & Drink

• 450 degrees for about 20 minutes.

I'm not sure about the oil choice because I don't grease the pan once it's been seasoned well.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:29 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• If you are making the 4 cup batter size, (13 x 9 pan) use butter to grease the pan. Bake for 30 - 35 minutes at 350 degrees. If using smaller size pans, bake at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes. Butter is always a better source for baking the cornbread.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 4:31 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Yes you can use butter or oil. I think butter is the best though.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:46 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Butter is better for flavour but you need to make sure your iron is well seasoned otherwise you may not get your bread out of it. I'd wipe it down with oil and toss it in the oven to heat a little bit and then butter the pan. To bake it, 350 for a half hour or so, at least until a knife or toothpick comes out clean.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:16 AM on Nov. 4, 2010