How can I make it easier for my Kindergarden daughter to get up in the morning when she is not a morning person?

girliemom0406

Asked by girliemom0406 at 4:27 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• can you make her bedtime earlier? Try waking her up slowly...go in 15 minutes before she needs to be up and say you have to wake up in 15 then again 5 minutes and then when she actually has to get up instead of having to wake right up and get ready.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 4:29 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• figure out how long it takes her to become a nice person and I would start waking her up that amount of time earlier than you need to get her out of the house on time. My 2 yo needs about 20 mins to become a nice person once she wakes. She needs to be left alone in order to do that. My SO needs closer to an hour. It is all personality dependent and we all require some amount of time to come to life so to speak once we wake up.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:31 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Great..We've made bedtime earlier & tomorrow will try the 15 minutes advice..Thanks!!
    girliemom0406

Comment by girliemom0406 (original poster) at 4:31 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• i have 2 out of three non morning kids. fun! my youngest decided she wants to sleep in so she showers at night to get more time in bed. i have not found changing bedtime to help at all. i think slowly over maybe 10 mins of waking them-i pop in every few mins and then they get up. i tried music to wake her but that doesnt help. we pick out clothes night before so that is one less thing.
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 6:46 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Thanks everyone who left comments...All will be kept in mind & I'll be trying the idea's!!
    girliemom0406

Comment by girliemom0406 (original poster) at 7:09 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Early bedtimes. I have it figured out where my son will wake up on his own in the mornings. That way I know he has gotten enough sleep.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:52 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• i'll say, don't let her nap during the day. if you let her nap then make sure is for 30 minutes maximum one hour. if you don't let her nap then send her to sleep earlier.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 3:09 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• make here go to bed around 7 pm
    dorispierce

Answer by dorispierce at 11:57 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Let her pick out an alarm clock she likes. Then, it won't be so bad for her to wake up and she'll get better at reading the time. This worked for both of my kids.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:24 PM on Nov. 6, 2010