ATTN: SAHM! What is your typical day like with your babies, toddlers, etc?

I am amazed at how I am the first person to arise and the last to go to bed in my household! I am a wife, mom to a busy 2 y/o boy, and needy shih tzu, and caregiver to my grandmother w/Alzheimers. I work harder as an SAHM anyday, than I had on my busiest day when I worked 40-50 hrs outside the home. I adore my job, but I must admit, I do miss the Christmas parties, potlucks, monthly birthday cakes, etc, especially when you spend your days with a toddler speaking Greek and a grandmother mish moshing her sentences, lol! I have a pretty structured day for my lil guy, but I would love to hear what other mommies are doing so I can "steal" your ideas, especially with the winter months coming on! Thanks ladies for sharing!

Jam0418

Asked by Jam0418 at 4:28 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i have been a sahm for 2 years now and i agree, i love it, but do miss the adult time. and i also work harder than i ever did working 50 hours a week as a manager. you never get a day off, or a peaceful meal! ugh! sorry my son was awful today lol. i have a almost 2 year old and a 5 month old. both are up between 6 and 7. i go to school full time, classes mon and wed mornings. my husband works 2nd. usually we have breakfast around 7, then play together in my sons room until 9 when my husband gets up. he eats and watches the kids while i take my shower. then we might watch some tv until lunch. my 2 year old refuses naps now, so we try some quiet time, but usually it last only 10 minutes. my husband leaves at 1:30 for work, and its me and the kids the rest of the night. we play until 4 when i start dinner. the kids scream until 5 when we eat, then they both get a bath. the baby is in bed at 6 and my 2 year old in bed at 7.
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 7:34 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Up at 9
    breakfast
    she watches some PBS and plays wherever not usually in front of the tv but around my desk while I am working
    lunch between 1130 and 1200
    Nap 1-4
    play time
    dinner between 5 and 6 (depends on when I am done for the day)
    bath
    bed at 7

I work from home and run my errands with our without her depending on my mood for the day, as well as do the cooking and cleaning.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:34 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• up between 8-9
    breakfast
    watch mickey mouse club house
    lunch 12-1
    play time
    nap 2-4
    play time/snack time
    6-7 dinner
    walk
    bath
    bed time between 8-9
    and then maybe i might get some house work done and take a shower! lol
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 4:37 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I have 5 kids - 4 months, 2, 9, 10, and 13. My older 3 get up and get ready for school pretty much by themselves (unless my 9 yo wants her hair braided), but we're all up by 7:30 or so. We eat breakfast, get the older ones out the door, and husband to work. My 4 month old naps between 9 - 11 while my 2 year old and I play. When she wakes up we go for a walk in the stroller or run any errands, maybe a trip to the playground. Then it's lunch and they both go back down for nap around 1-1:30 until 4 which is the same time my older ones are coming home from school. In the afternoon I help my older ones with homework around the kitchen table while my 4 month old swings and the 2 year old watches Sesame Street. Then it's supper, baths, and bedtime for the two little ones is 7:30. The older 3 are in bed by 8:30.

Answer by missanc at 5:57 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• i no longer have young kids at home i have adults and they take care of them self and me ,i born with arthritis, there are days i can walk a few feet then there are day it just hurt to walk ,so on my good day i will try to get supper togther and my kids stand by my side to help ,they are there help with the laundry,and to help up the stairs so i can sew or just knit or just watch some tv i do all this so i don't turn into veggie,that day will come
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 6:04 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• cont. i'm usually exhausted, but have school work. the only time i can do school work is after they go to bed. after its all done i usually want to lie on the couch and quietly die haha. we do most of our errands in the morning when my husband can go with me, but if its a school day i have to go alone with both kids (oh joy!). i dont know whats gonna happen during the winter though, my son is full of energy. we do like to play like we are trains, he says all aboard and we run through the house saying choo choo. but he never wants to stop so i'm usually sweating by the time we are done running haha. i do admit he watches more tv than i wanted him to when he was first born. but its the only way i can get anything done, hes attached to my hip otherwise. okay im done rambling lol :)
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 7:37 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Up about 8, and he spends some time with his father and we eat breakfast, I get on CM real fast just to check. About 8:30/9 we go over his ABC's, numbers, colors, shapes, etc. Then we color or finger paint. That usually lasts till about 11, and I let him play a little bit, then we have lunch and I try to get him to nap by 12:30/1 (I do my cleaning during nap time). If he naps he's usually up around 3 or 4 , and I make him a snack and then he plays a while and maybe watches some Blues Clues or something, and my husband usually wakes up (he works nights) around 5 or 6, if he slept well, so I cook dinner and we sit as a family and eat and watch something and the he they might play together or he'll play a while on his own, and then I go to get him ready for bed - 7 if he doesn't nap, 8 if he does. He gets a bed time story and lullabies, and lotion if he has a bath. Then I spend time with DH and go to bed when he leaves for work.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:11 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Up at 530 am
    Breakfast
    Playtime/TV
    outside / walk
    Lunch
    Nap time/ [me work out[
    Clean
    More play time
    Supper
    Clean
    Relaxing...
    And Bed time
    Punk.Princess24

Answer by Punk.Princess24 at 1:32 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Thx for sharing, Coala. I'm taking an online course which equates to work for me, except no paycheck! Gosh...I wish I could get my lil guy down at 7 pm! If he gets in bed before 9:30 (includes getting up at 7:30, nap cut down to 1.5 hr), I'm guaranteed to hear him yelling from his crib at 3 am ready to rock n' roll, lol! Good stuff :)
    Jam0418

Comment by Jam0418 (original poster) at 4:38 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Caroline2010, I feel ya! It's funny "free" time is considered housework and a washing of your pits! LOL!
    Jam0418

Comment by Jam0418 (original poster) at 4:41 PM on Nov. 3, 2010