Did you know that there is a world wide global witchhunt to shut midwives out of private practice and helping womens to have a choice ofhome birth. adult content

I am a lobbying campaigning experienced Australian midwife. Today in Ireland 4th of November midwives will be faced with legislation which will jail or fine them up to 165,000 ?currency if they practise home births against rules brought about by I can only guess obstetricians. Obstetricians in our country threatened the government with 6.5 million dollars worth of anti government if they allowed midwife medicare. That is if they gave women who choose midwives for home birth a rebate for having birth at home.

This has just happened and we are angry sad and disappointed at the power and paternalistic patriarchy which the 3 women in Australian Government gave them.

whichwitch

Asked by whichwitch at 4:31 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I heard about this. I think it's ridiculous and they need to stay out of it. If a women wants to birth at home with a midwife, she should be able to.
    I have befriended a few midwives on Facebook. Some from UK and one I believe is in Australia.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:39 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• this is a good reminder for those who claim pro-choice is only about abortion.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 4:55 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Sounds like history is repeating itself -
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:01 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• At least in the US, birth regulations are driven by parent lawsuits and insurance companies, not obstetricians. My OB had to obey a lot of rules he thought stupid for that reason. I have no issues with OBs or midwives. Every woman should have a choice of OB or midwife, hospital, birth center or home birth if they are willing to take the associated costs and risks there are in each situation, and not suel. I personally enjoyed my OB because we could discuss statistics, medical journals and Sci-fi. But that is where the power is in US medicine. In the hands of insurance and lawyers. Sad.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 4:43 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• @Jambo4: It isn't your decision. Besides, if you actually bothered to read up on the statistics and studies, you'd see that in countries where home births are done in equal numbers with hospital ones, they are EQUAL in terms of safety and in fact home birth is actually a tiny bit safer.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:09 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• don't have one then Jambo . . . it's not your choice to make for anyone else.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:30 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Luckily, I know exactly where a midwife is here that will deliver at my home or at her birth center. Thank goodness I do have that option.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• wow, that really sucks. I had a home birth, i would be so pissed off if i was not able to have that option. Talk about government control....

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:03 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• that's awful :(
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 5:36 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• "Pro-choice" (the way the term is typically used in our society) IS only about abortion.

That said, I think this is horrible... it's like this in a couple states here in the US and I hope they are able to change the laws soon.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 6:35 PM on Nov. 3, 2010