Do any of you mams out there get frazzled

when you are driving and ur newborn starts crying? I can't think straight anf make dumb mistakes so I have to pull over most times to stop it. she rarely sleeps in the car at 10 weeks and sometimes I dred going places that arennnt right near home. any tips?

anxious1stimer

Asked by anxious1stimer at 4:36 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes I did and do. Your LO might get better wtih the car as time goes on. Just remember its not the end of the world if they cry for alittle bit, just try to tune it out as much as you can.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 4:42 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I agree with mlmsm928. There's not much you can do about it. One thing you can check is if the air pressure in your car is affecting your little one's ears. If the car is shut up tight, try cracking the window.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 4:55 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Yes, that happened when my DS was a baby, and it didn't help that he really hated when we had to stop at traffic lights. It's good to pull over for a few minutes if you feel you need to, because a crying baby does make us respond physically (blood pressure goes up, etc) until we can help them stop. So, if you're like me, you would definitely be less focused while driving if you're feeling stressed. It will probably get better as she gets more used to being in the car. Another possibly is checking how the car seat straps are fitting, maybe they're uncomfortable? It could be a lot of things though, but hope it gets better for you soon!
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:08 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• My son HATED the car at first. Infact, it took about. Six months before he would get in the car and not scream the entire time. (And I live an hour from town.) I used to get so upset. Id pull over and calm him down and as soon as I put him back in, he would start crying again. Sometimes I would get so frustrated that I would cry too. I tried mirrors and toys, singing and talking to him. Anyways, I just wanted to say that I understand your frustratiion, and it WILL get better. Hang in there. If he is fed and clean, then there isn't much else you can do. Pull over if you are getting stressed. Once your LO is able to hold toys better and see out the window easier, things will get better.
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 9:24 PM on Nov. 3, 2010