Professional photography

I have always had a passion for photography, and have an eye for it, but don't know how to get my camera to do what I know looks best. I'm thinking about going through a tech college to get a photography certificate to advance my knowledge and skills. The cost is about $2000 for courses, and I would get a macbook and the $600or so worth of editing software. Does anybody have any tips or thoughts regarding going through courses. I already have a career, but want something fulfilling to do on the side (not for money, though it would be helpful). Any advice from photographers out there would be appreciated - thanks!!!

TarraJoy

Asked by TarraJoy at 4:37 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• if you havent already join the photo mom's group here on cafe mom. A college course would be a good investment if you are serious about it. If you have to take out loans for the college and aren't really serious about making money from it try to learn as much as you can from the momma's in that group and by practice. But if you have the money for the course then go for it! :)
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 4:40 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Laptops are not good for editing you need a great desk top that can be calibrated correctly. It is a good idea to take classes though.

There are some fabulous photography groups on here I belong to, Photo Moms, Photography Business Moms you should check them out.

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 5:08 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Does anybody have a blog or a website showing work that they are doing as a side job, or a full out career they could share?
    TarraJoy

Comment by TarraJoy (original poster) at 6:46 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I'm an amateur photographer, but my work has been good enough to get into a local art show. I use a Sony powershot Elph and edit using the software already built into windows. My focus is on landscapes and cityscapes although I have also done the photos for my business. If you plan on doing portraits, photojournalism or photos for catalogues, you'll need to take the courses because there is a lot more involved in it than just taking the photo.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:13 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Join the group here on CM as well as take professional classes. The Art Institute is a great place to start.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:02 PM on Nov. 4, 2010