Does your newborn sleep during the day?

My 10 week old rarely sleeps during the day unless I get lucky. It is so frustrating b/c I never get a break and all she does is cry, cry, cry. :( She even cries with the husband after only a few minutes but then is ok when I take her back so I still don't get a break. I think the longest time I have had to myself (minus the 2.5 year old too) is 1 hour. I am not counting my sleep b/c I don't know I am on a break then. lol

anxious1stimer

Asked by anxious1stimer at 4:50 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That never happened in my case, my baby is 10 months and she's still getting naps during the day at least 2 during the day, and when she was that old, she used to stay awake only for a few hours most of the time she was asleep and she was waking up just to be fed. I think that maybe is a good question for a nurse or the doctor if this is normal..sorry I couldn`t help more.
    Pukity

Answer by Pukity at 4:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• my twins are 11 months and they still take frequent naps during the day and always have good luck
    19withtwins

Answer by 19withtwins at 4:59 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• She must be so tired! Yes, at 10 weeks old they need to be sleeping during the day. I'm not sure what advice to give you - have you tried swaddling? Baby swing? I'm sure after 10 weeks you've tried it all. Hang in there mama!

Answer by missanc at 5:40 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Ours were awake for maybe two hours tops at that age (more like 1.5). When we could see that they were getting tired by yawning,etc we found it worked best to get into a sleep time routine that was always the same. Bath (if at night), lights out, drapes pulled, soft music on maybe, cuddling/rocking/swaying. When the baby got drowsy he was laid down. If done in the same manner, all the time, the baby picks up on the cues and knows it's time for sleeping. The lady I do childcare for has also asked me to follow a set routine with her baby. If the baby cries at all it isn't for long. And I don't mean screaming his lungs out, but minor fussing. It is what worked for us. Our kids were good sleepers and happy babies. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:41 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• My son is 12 weeks and we have a day here and there where he was boycotting naps for the day. 2 things work for me. 1 is to carry him in the Moby wrap. I can place him in there and within a few minutes of walking with him he is fast asleep. The other thing that will usually work is the swing. He has to be already sleep when I put him in there, but he will sleep as long as I keep it running - 3 hours or so. GL, I hope it gets better!
    lovebugs_mom

Answer by lovebugs_mom at 11:04 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• might she have colic, or gas? if not you might try swaddling, swonders. My infant always sleeps. but I always swaddle her.
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 3:52 AM on Nov. 4, 2010