Has a misunderstanding ever ruined your little one's mood?

Yesterday when I picked my kids up at daycare I told them we had to get their big sister from school and then I had to go VOTE. My 3 year old daughter took off her shoes and socks and started talking about putting on her bathing suit which is admittedly strange, but she's 3. It wasn't until after I went to VOTE and she started crying that I realized she thought I was taking her on the BOAT. She was disappointed, devastated and pathetically sad all evening. Nothing I could say made her any happier, and I felt really bad for her. Has this ever happened to you?

TweenAndTwinMom

Asked by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:54 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Oh my - what a memory! We lived near the Mississippi River when I was a child. My dad asked all of us kids to go and "get a soda" one Sunday. I remember the thrill of that - (I'm old - we were poor - soda was a LUXURY!). We got in the car and drove around all day, and then we were back home. When confronted with my colossal pout, I found that pop had asked us if we wanted to "go to Minnesota" - in other words, take a drive across the bridge. Don't worry - your little Dolly will get over it- but she may never forget it - it will be the conversation for chuckles her whole life!
    mommyx9

Answer by mommyx9 at 5:37 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• All the time! My 4 year old is the queen of pouting. Especially if she misunderstood what we're going to do. She once threw a fit for an entire evening because she had it in her head that we were going from work straight to Wal-Mart (her favorite place, I don't know why, lol). When she asked, I told her "We do have to go to Walmart, but not tonight." I guess she didn't hear the not tonight part, because she lost it when we pulled up in the driveway at home.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 5:08 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• OMG.. I told Max we had to pick up my mom to go Vote and he said "Ugh, I don't want to go on a boat today" I couldn't help but to laugh but probably a good thing he DIDN'T want to go on the boat or he would have been upset too!! lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:22 PM on Nov. 3, 2010