If your child had hives...

...would you still send them to school? He has them all over...including his face. Should I send him to school tomorrow?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• do you know what the hives are from? have you given him benedryl? If you know what they are from and have have treated him with benedryl I dont see a problem with it since hives arent contagious but you may want to send the teach a note explaining what it is or you will probably get a phone call. If you dont know what it is from or benedryl or hydrocortizone cream isnt calming it down I would take him to the dr instead of school.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 4:59 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• No, you want to keep an eye on that since it is an allergic reaction. It can worsen as the time goes on, and he may need more medicine.
    wenona_mandy

Answer by wenona_mandy at 5:10 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• well my son got them all summer a few years ago. when he went into anyone's pool. when he rolled in grass down a hill and when his tutor came to work with him. ha! she stopped coming by for awhile because they came out as soon as she arrived. i was told benedryl or zyrtec were fine...want antihistimine. usually allergic reaction(grass or food) or temperture(pools was what i was told) and stress/anxiety can bring it on(tutor). within 5-10 mins even his biggest hives disappeared. try meds and think about what is causing them. my soon had this happen for maybe 4 months then it stopped. he liked cortisone cream for the itch while the meds were taking affect. good luck. i agree send him if you can with a note or take him in and talk to teacher about it. taking an allergy pill should relieve it.
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 6:41 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• i think you should give him another day
    lilygirl81

Answer by lilygirl81 at 7:26 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• No I would not send a child with hives to school. Give benadryl, keep home, and if there is no improvement take him to the dr.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:51 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I would keep him home even though he is not contagious he is likely to be miserable and itchy! Benedril can be your friend!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 2:13 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• no they might send him back home
    dorispierce

Answer by dorispierce at 11:56 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• no
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:23 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I had the hives as I was growing up: It is mainly caused by nerves. Your best bet is to let your child stay home.
    And also- go buy some L-Lysine (vitamin) - Not only did I have hives but even fever-blisters. And going to school with hives is miserable and not fun.
    Irontontiger

Answer by Irontontiger at 1:39 AM on Nov. 9, 2010