My twins will be a year soonand im trying to get them off their bottle, nothing is working any tips?

19withtwins

Asked by 19withtwins at 4:57 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Start with giving a sippy cup at breakfast only. After a couple of weeks, breakfast & lunch, then at all 3 meals. I never let my son walk around with a bottle either. If he wants a drink, sit down in the kitchen and drink. He is 14 months now and I still give him a bottle of milk at night when we snuggle before bed.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 5:02 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Only water in the bottle if they want juice or milk they have to have a cup
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 5:15 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• We gradually replaced bottles with sippy cups starting several months before the first birthday. By 13 months we were down to just one bottle at night. I waited until about 13 1/2 months to take away the before bedtime bottle because that was the one they were most attached to. The first night we planned to skip the bedtime bottle we took the kids out for dinner and to do a few errands in the evening so we arrived back at home at bedtime and they were really tired. They went to bed without a problem. We planned distractions like errands and going to the park for 3 nights in a row so they would be very tired and not have a lot of time at home to remember their bottles. On the 4th night we didn't go anywhere, and only one of the babies cried for a bottle. We used the same distraction technique to get rid of pacifiers at 22 months, and it worked great for that too.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:16 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I thought that they're supposed to get the bottle (breast milk OR formula) until at least a year anyway. My advice is not to sweat it. (though it may not be popular advice).
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 5:25 PM on Nov. 3, 2010