What is the CafeMom Encyclopedia?

I was told at an ultrasound that there's an 80% chance my baby is a boy. Should I start decorating based on that?

bcraine

Asked by bcraine at 5:18 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I would or you can just stick to neutral colors just in case
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:19 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I'd still be afraid to decorate in all blue! Stick with a neutral palette until he or she is out

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:19 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• hmm you could not go wrong with blue cause a girl could still be in a blue room. But a boy in a pink room would be funny. When they told me that i had a girl she just said its a girl she didnt give me a %. How far are you alone? In case you wanna wait untill the nest ultrasound to make sure.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 5:22 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I completely trusted my ultrasound technician's professional opinion when she told me that I was having a girl, but I still decorated gender neutral. I bought mostly girl clothing, however, with a small collection of gender neutral clothing "just in case." Good luck!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 5:22 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• My first question back to you would be "how far along are you." If you are very early along then wait for your mid pregnancy ultrasound, usually they are more certain b/c the baby is at a good stage to be able to tell the sex.

Baby boys are usually easier to tell too, to me they are. lol.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:22 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• How many weeks along were you when they told you this?? Just wonder.. at 16 weeks I was told that I have boy/girl twins.. then at my big 18 week scan I was told they were both boys. You wouldn't believe the difference a few weeks could make as far as development of your babies. So if your still some what early on then i'd just hold on for a "better view" =)
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 5:24 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Ultrasounds can be tricky, although from what I've seen, if they say it's a boy, it almost always ends up being a boy. Now, if they tell you it's a girl, you can keep wondering. But boys are easier to tell, so I'd say, Have fun decorating!
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 5:42 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I have two boys and two girls. They were right on everytime. Ultrasound techs are usually correct but they don't always like to tell mom to go buy blue. They don't want someone getting upset with them I guess!
    But blue is so versatile. Why not go ahead paint your room and just buy a few yellow and green jammies and gowns for now. Wait for the actual theme of the room until you are positive. My daughter has a powder blue crib and pink bedding. It's cute.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 5:46 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• i would wait until your next ultrasound. Just to be on the safe side. You dont want it to be all Blue and it ends up being a girl. Either way good Luck. Hope he or she is healthy as can be. Decor is SO much fun!
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 5:48 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• If you are further than 20 weeks, then it is a pretty good bet that the ultrasound tech is correct. They might not have been able to get a very good angle and therefor were not comfortable in saying that your baby is 100% boy. If you are less than 20 weeks, I would hold off until you either have another ultrasound or when the baby is born. And, if you wait untiil the birth you can decorate according to your baby's personality and not just his (or her) gender.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 5:52 PM on Nov. 3, 2010