does a hysterectomy cure menopause

does having a hysterectomy relieve symptoms of menopause or does it bring on menopause

Tomi59

Asked by Tomi59 at 10:13 AM on Jul. 4, 2008 in Health

• A hysterectomy will only affect menopause if both of the ovaries are removed as well. And then it will bring on menopause. Unfortunatly nothing will cure it. You just have to wait it out. There are medicines and herbs that will make it easier to deal with. But nothing you can do will prevent it from happening.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 10:39 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• i am under the impression that with a total hysterectomy you will enter menopause unless you utilize hormone supplements. Hope that helps
    gingerfargas

Answer by gingerfargas at 10:41 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• Ginger is correct. If they take everything out it will throw you into menopause. If they leave your ovaries then you will enter menopause at whatever age you start it.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:58 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• My mother had a complete one removing everything and it made her go through menopause. She had hers bout 15 yrs ago and she is STILL in menopause.
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 2:44 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• brings it on. i get hot flashes and bitchiness, no sex drive...and i still have my ovaries.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 3:39 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Surgery often throws you into menopause. I know of a supplement that helps many women. Also changing to a vegetarian diet often helps. PM me for information about the supplement.
    MentorByDesign

Answer by MentorByDesign at 3:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• i went thru a full hysterectomy with ovaries removed 4 years ago.
    still have symptoms. no sex drive, depression, and now my body looks
    like i'm 60!!!! my skin is saggy like grandma's!!! this is horrible and nothing can stop it!!!!!
    i'm only 42. and i cant find anyone who is going thru these physical changes.

god help me!!
    JLITTY

Answer by JLITTY at 1:45 PM on Sep. 17, 2008