Should i send my son to school?

It seems that my son has missed more school this year due to his allergies and asthma. i know that he doesn't always feel well but i hate when people send children to school sick. When my son gets up in the morning he sounds horrible coughing sneezing and complains of his throat hurting. i will give him medicine for this and it seems that in a couple of hours he is up running around and seems just fine. I feel guilty for sending him feeling bad and i feel guilty for keeping him home. He is 9 and if i do keep him at home he cannot go outside to play nor is h e aloud to have company or pretty much anything fun for that day

hollieshobbie

Asked by hollieshobbie at 5:25 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• yes. Get him up earlier and give him his meds.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:26 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• If he feels better in a few hours and you know that then send him. I have terrible asthma and played that a lot when I was just a little bit older than him. I would call my mom wheezing so loud on purpose just so that I could stay home. Give him his meds and send him to school. It will be better for him in the end anyway.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:27 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• If he isn't running a fever, you should send him, especially if you know it's just allergies. He should be old enough to know to use common hygiene practices while in school so he doesn't spread germs. You can also let him know that if he gets to feeling badly, he can always call you from school.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 5:28 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Agreed.. if no fever is present i'd send him. If the school feels its bad enough to where he shouldnt be there they will call you.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 5:30 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• They have called many of times and yes he sounds horrible sometimes but when he arrives home, just fine after a while. he puts on a good act. In fact i have asked if he has a fever and they say no, but ask me to pick him up. The school does have permission to give him regular tylenol.
    hollieshobbie

Comment by hollieshobbie (original poster) at 5:34 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• i'm going through the samething with my 10 yr old son. his teacher got on to him for missing or getting sent home from school by the nurse. Anyway after her and I had it out, I took him to the doctor and he put him on Singulair 5 mg, one tablet per day. It seems to help for the most part plus I use an allergy eye drop. Like the school nurse said she hates to leave him in school miserable digging at his eyes cause he's not concentrating on learning. also, i noticed it was worse a week or so ago, when the leaves were all comming down, now it's a lot better, if your going through that now, thats a lot of his problem it should get better soon . Don't feel guilty about keeping him home if he's miserable at school, this wont last forever.Over the counter drugs don't work as good as prescription. Hope this helps!
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 5:36 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I have tried the allergy prescriptions and they change his behavior so drastically, the dr. and i have decided to just use benadryl for now. We do live in the country and r surrounded by fields and the farmers have been working in the fields. I hope that u r right and that we get a good frost and this will be over soon.
    hollieshobbie

Comment by hollieshobbie (original poster) at 5:41 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I'd say if he is not running a fever - send him to school. Maybe he has food allergies too?
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:47 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Thanks guys, we r getting up early for a breathing treatment and meds and yes he is going to school, no matter how much he begs i will not give in unless there is a fever. Thanks also for not bashing me. Just needed some good ole advise from other mommas. :)
    hollieshobbie

Comment by hollieshobbie (original poster) at 6:04 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• You need to tell the school that unless he is running a fever, you will no longer be taking him home.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:31 PM on Nov. 3, 2010