Regarding Breastmilk In A Bottle

My pediatrician said it was fine to use a bottle for my one week old infant who has a perfect latch and a great weight gain. I have the Medela Harmony manual pump and it's pretty easy. I like the idea that my husband can feed and I can have an hour break. So my question is this: Are there any problems with letting a newborn have a bottle once or twice a day? Do you think it will cause any confusion or preference? Anyone with experience using a bottle on such a young infant, please share your experience! THANK SO, SO MUCH!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:27 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You really shouldn't do this until about 6-8 weeks when you are certain that you have a great supply. You can do it and babies go back and forth but I wouldn't just yet.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:29 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• My youngest had a great latch and was a great breastfeeder. I pumped as soon as I got home to start getting a back supply, and my husband was able to bottle feed her within the first week. She continued to be a great breastfeeder until I weaned her at about 6 months. I think it really depends on the baby, though. Good luck! Btw, we used the Gerber drop ins system (the breastmilk freezer bags fit right in)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 5:31 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• i waited until 4 weeks and she still had a little confusion. i would wait until atleast 6 weeks just to be sure.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 5:31 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• After having and breastfeeding two babies I just think pumping is SOOOOO much more time consuming than just feeding the baby with the breast. The pumping null and voids and "break" I could get by dad feeding the baby once.

And I also noticed that my pump....which was a medela...hurt my nipples more than my babies did....

So to me it was an inconvenience. But I know lots of women do it a lot.

I also would give a baby at least a couple of months to get use to nursing and for your supply to build.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:32 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• yeah you should wait a few weeks your supply could drop major from not getting all the milk out. i started using a bottle around 4-5 weeks i have a two month old. i use them if were going out or need to do something other wise she gets the boob lol
    letlovegrow

Answer by letlovegrow at 5:34 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I had issues with my supply while in the hospital after my 4th (my hemoglobin dropped and I had to have a transfusion). We would give him a bottle after I tried to breastfeed. We ended up using a SNS for a few weeks, but he did have bottle every other day or so. He didn't have any problems, but I have heard of many cases where babies did have problems going back and forth that young.

Answer by missanc at 5:42 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• At one week there is a pretty good chance that you will end up with some nipple confusion issues. I would wait until your LO is about 4-5 weeks and try the bottle then. And another thing, it isn't really a break because you still have to pump for that feeding in order to keep your supply up.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 5:54 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• My son is 4 months old. I'm still breastfeeding and bottle feeding due to having to go back to work and needing sleep. Yes, it does cause confusion, but I have done a lot of research and practice with my son. The closest bottle I've found that works with breastfed babies are called TOMMEE TIPPEE bottles. Unfortunately, they're only found (so far) at Babies R Us. They're not cheap, but they're built like a woman's breast/nipple. Don't purchase anything other than a #1 size nipple (no matter how old your little one gets) for the simple reason that you need to teach them that even though they have a bottle they still have to work at getting the milk out just like your breast do. The older your little one gets, the less confusion it will become.
    angiebecker2001

Answer by angiebecker2001 at 6:40 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• dont wait til thebbay is at least month.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:00 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I know there are a lot of negative opinions on this but I did what you are suggesting from birth and my son did fine. He had no problem going from one to the other.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:25 PM on Nov. 3, 2010