My son doesn't like toys?

I know this sounds weird, but my son doesn't like toys, never has. He has all the normal toys for his age like building blocks, cars & trucks, dinosaurs, ect.. but he won't play with them. Ds is going to be 4 in Feb. The only things he likes to do is, play on his leapster, video game, computer(he has been able to navigate through the internet since he was 22 months) and doing mazes. Anyone else's kid like this?

momofone221

Asked by momofone221 at 5:50 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Teacher here: I would try to push the imaginative play mom. Imagination is one of the number 1 signs of intelligence and helps their brains to grow.....send that boy OUTSIDE with a friend!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:46 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Limit the time at those things like it should have been done already.
    Anonymous

• Try playing with him with his toys and set up mazes for him to solve his way through. Car tracks, dinosaur races. Complicated building block structures. Just make sure to play with him and challenge him with his toys.

emerald53197

Answer by emerald53197 at 11:28 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• He does go outside, we have a huge playset, ride on cars, jumpy house, he will play with that stuff bc he likes to climb. He also is imaginative, he has had an imaginary friend for almost a yr now. When "they" play together they do so without the use of toys. They usually play hide and seek or another game like that. I do try to play with him with the toys as well, he will do so for a few minutes before becoming bored. Maybe, I just need to find toys he really likes.
    momofone221

Comment by momofone221 (original poster) at 7:58 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Limit the time that he has with his electronic toys. Reasearch shows that visual and muscular problems can develop from hand held electronics. As bad as all of that its, my biggest concern is that playing video games too often can promote isolation and seclusion and can cut down on your family time and communication. The more your child is playing his electronic games, the less he is involved with communicating with and being part of the family. Then there is the "addiction" factor. The more children play, the more they feel that they have to! It would be best if you limit his time with those toys to 30 minutes, two times a day. I'm having the feeling that he's on it for hours a day. You need to start somewhere and cut back. See if you can find another interest for him to use his imagination and nurture that. He'll be very upset when you cut down, but do it for his sake!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 11:47 AM on Nov. 4, 2010