At what age or under what circumstances would you consider a major career change not worth the effort?

I've wondered about this and just saw another question that reminded me.

I'm 38, and I have a college degree and a professional certification. My life is pretty comfortable, but sometimes I wonder if I wouldn't enjoy doing something different. I think especially when I'm older I might prefer doing something less stressful.

Posting anonymous because I wouldn't want my boss to think I'm planning to leave anytime soon!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:06 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• What circumstances would it not be worthi it? The only thing I can think of is if you cannot afford the educaion you are about to take to make the change. If you have to go into debt to go back to school, but can pay it off before retirement, then that's great. If you will end up with a pile of debt and not make more money for the trouble, you would have to really think about how that would be worth it.

You may be just as happy staying with the same meployment but adding to that by volunteering for other things that would be interesting to you - like maybe working with kids, entertaining people in a nursing home, etc.
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 7:00 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I think your never too old for change and it would always be worth the time and effort.
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 6:09 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I don't think you're ever too old to make yourself happy.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 6:10 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I agree with other posters. You could save now to have some money set aside when and if you change and it does not work out.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:15 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Some people in this economy are continuing to work beyond retirement age. So you got a lot years ahead of you to change careers into something you like.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 7:40 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I'm making a change in career now. I am leaving my f/time comfy job that I've had for 13 years to do my own thing. I am 49 (shhh., don't let that get out!!) LOL...
    I've been in insurance for around 20 years, doing the same thing for 20 years & I can't see doing it another 20! And I am doing something completely out of my nature, but I'm loveing it. I've been working on it for 2 years and it now pays me what my f/time pays me, so I still have an income coming in ~ While I totally change my career! I don't know what the next 10 will bring, but I'm excited about this change. My parents stayed at their jobs for 30-40 years.....they have a good retirement. But they don't do anything now. I hope I NEVER retire to do NOTHING! I want to always have something........ so, never think that it's TOO LATE!
    gr-mom2

Answer by gr-mom2 at 11:41 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I'm considering a change myself. I also have a degree but it hsn't really helped me much. I'm trying to decide what to do and probably don't decide anytime soon.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:35 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I don't think you're ever too old to change your mind. If anything, your current boss will see you returning to school as initiative to learn more than you already have. There could be a promotion or pay raise.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:53 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I made Career change @ 35. I hit the bank glass ceiling.
    RidingPink

Answer by RidingPink at 12:10 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I don't think you are too old!! As long as you go about it in a financially smart way, then go for it!! Life should be about making yourself happy!! Good luck in whatever you decide!
    jekrmom

Answer by jekrmom at 10:15 PM on Nov. 5, 2010