breastfeeding

I'm on week 2 of breastfeeding and it is very hard! I feel like all I do is feed and do not have time to enjoy anything else. DH and I decided for our first born that this would be the best because of all the positives that come from it. I don't plan on giving up but I am getting really frustrated with it. My little girl latches on good from time to time but it's those times when she doesn't that make me feel like quitting (even though I won't). Does it get easier? If so, when? Many of my friends say that it gets a lot easier after the first 2-3 wks and to hang in there. What has been your experience?

mire621

Asked by mire621 at 6:16 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• IT WILL GET BETTER!! I was VERY frsutrated my first few weeks. I felt that was all I was doing. Trust me it got better. My son is 5.5 months, and BF is nothing. He latches fine, feeds MUCH QUICKER, and I don't feel the stress anymore.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 6:21 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I breastfeed for the first 6 weeks. With only and hour of sleep between each feeding. I was beyond exhausted. Turns out I wasnt producing enough milk for him. Talked to his pedi and we switched him to formula. I was a walking zombie. But thats doesnt mean you will go thru the samething. Hope everything gets better for you....good luck
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 6:25 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• DONT GIVE UP!! the first 6 weeks are hard. for both you and baby. i suggest you invest on a sling also if you can try and go to la leche league meetings for support. also join the breastfeeding moms group. is normal for baby to nurse often especially right now, it helps build up supply. if you need any more info orhelp with bf msg me
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:31 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• it's ok....don't give up. yes, you do feel like you don't have a life, but you feel that way with a newborn anyway lol. it gets better when they're a little older because they sleep more and get to be pros at latching on. i ebf 2 of my kids for over a year, and the other one had issues and we had to stop at 3 months. it's a good chance to just sit and chill imo.....look at tv....read a book....talk on the phone, and if you nurse laying down then you can take a nap lol. gl and don't give up!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 6:42 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Newborns require a lot of attention period :) They eat a lot, they sleep not enough for our liking, and they pee and poop when they aren't eating. :) ALL new moms are sleep deprived. Breastfeeding is hardest the first 6 weeks especially for a beginner. It gets better, really. You won't hardly remember how difficult a newborn is. If moms remembered how demanding newborns are they wouldn't have another :P JOIN the breastfeeding moms group http://www.cafemom.com/group/325. That way you can learn what normal behavior of all babies are, the normal behavior of breastfed babies, and have support from moms who have been there done that and likely did it more than once :)
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:58 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• The first 2-3 weeks are definitely the hardest. It will get better, don't worry. You are in the hardest part right now.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:57 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Thank you ALL for the comments. Any support and words of encouragement helps :)
    mire621

Comment by mire621 (original poster) at 11:18 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I got voted down for saying it gets better, and that it's easier????? LMAO damn some of you women have sticks up your ass.

OP it really will get easier :) :) :)
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:46 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• The first 2-3 months can seem like a constant growth spurt because the baby is growing constantly during this time. Once you get through it, it gets SO MUCH EASIER.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 3:12 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Takes time for you and your baby to figure out what she needs. once you get that down it is even more wonderful :) It can be hard I had an overative let down so I was always engorged/leaking/and in pain..little man has reflux so he would choke/gag/spit up and I just felt like he was allergic to me lol it gets better though :)
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 3:01 AM on Nov. 5, 2010